- Visit Butler
- Apply to Butler
- Request Information
- Virtual Tour
- Find Your Counselor
- Butler on the Road
- Affordability & Aid
- International Admission
- Transfer Admission
- Graduate Admission
- Non-Degree Admission
- Admitted Students
- Resources for High School Counselors
- Butler Alumni Recruiting Corps
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Efforts in the Enrollment Management Division
Transfer New Student Checklist
Your online decision letter is available on your student status page. Completing this step will give you access to other important status page activities like replying to your offer of admission—which must be done before you pay your enrollment deposit.
To do this, log in to your student status page and navigate to the "Status Update" section. Click View Update.
We encourage all families to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at fafsa.gov. The federal formula takes several factors into account and many families mistakenly self-select themselves out of the financial aid process, missing the opportunity to explore all aid programs available, including Butler University aid. Use school code: 001788.
More information about completing the FAFSA is available on this website.
Admission visits are an important step in the college search, particularly as you near the end of your decision-making process. We offer a number of visit options—including both on-campus and virtual options—designed specifically for our #ButlerBound students. Schedule your campus visit here.
You’ll use your Butler network account throughout your time as a student. As an incoming student, this account will grant you access to your financial aid notification, online bill status, and housing information. Your personal login information and instructions to set up your account will be emailed to you about a week after you’re admitted.
Once you've set up your account, you'll be able to access your official Butler email and calendar at outlook.com/butler.edu.
For more information about these steps, preparing your technology for move-in, smartphone email set-up instructions, and more, check out Information Technology's New to Butler? resource.
To officially reserve your place at Butler University, submit your $500 enrollment deposit online. If your plans change and you decide not to attend Butler University, ths deposit is refundable with written request submitted prior to August 1 (fall transfers) or prior to January 1 (spring transfers). To avoid bank processing delays, we recommend paying with a credit card instead of a debit card or check.
To pay your deposit:
- Log in to your student status page and navigate to Status Update. Select View Update.
- Select Reply to Offer of Admission under the Forms section. Complete and submit the form.
- From your status page, select Submit Payment for $500. Complete and submit the form.
- Confirm your addresses on the main status page. If anything is listed incorrectly, you can correct it by selecting Edit Addresses.
After paying your enrollment deposit, and following a review of transfer credits, it’s possible that a placement exam will be required to determine an appropriate course placement. If a placement exam is needed, you will be contacted by a representative from the Office of Registration and Records with specific information about how to proceed.
The housing application will be available beginning March 15, 2022. Your $500 enrollment deposit must be submitted and processed in order to access the housing application. You will be emailed with instructions to complete the online application.
Housing assignments and preferences are not based on when you pay the enrollment deposit and/or complete the housing application. Housing application changes, including roommate requests, can be made until June 1. Building and roommate assignments will be emailed by July 15 and specific move-in times will be assigned and emailed in August. For more information, visit the Residence Life website.
Virtual Registration is an important milestone in the new student journey. During Virtual Registration, you’ll have an appointment with your academic advisor, schedule your first semester of classes, and learn more about your academic college. Your advising appointment will be held with the College of your primary major. In addition to the advising appointment, you will be asked to complete an online Virtual Registration course in Canvas.
Students who submit the $500 enrollment deposit and have completed all required placement exams will have access to the Virtual Registration process beginning April 2022. Students must complete all required placement exams before an appointment can be scheduled.
More information will be provided via email as you reach this stage in the enrollment process.
Admitted students will be able to view all financial aid items in our Student Financial Planning tool.
Students can access the Student Financial Planning tool from My.Butler under Academic Tools. Please be sure to review all Pending items in red on the HOME page, and check out any red numbered notification badges in the navigation header. Check back regularly to be sure that you don’t have anything pending, and watch for your financial aid notification to become available to view sometime after February 1.
Students can grant their parents access to Student Financial Planning, too! Additional instructions on how to navigate your Student Financial Planning tool or grant your parent or guardian access are available here.
Butler University policy requires all students to complete the Acceptance of Financial Responsibility(AFR) process each semester prior to enrollment. The AFR statement outlines your commitment to pay all expenses incurred at Butler University (including any penalties that result due to past due payments). This requirement must be completed prior to enrollment. To complete the process, please follow the steps below:
- Log into your my.butler.edu account and select Self Service Student Homepage.
- Click on the tile marked Tasks then click on Butler Accept Financial Responsibility.
- Review the text thoroughly before clicking Next (at the upper right of the screen).
- Read the agreement and check the box next to Accept Terms and Conditions, then Save. Click Next (at the upper right of the screen).
- Click Finish to complete the process. The indicator will be removed from your account to allow registration.
If you have any problems logging in or have technology related questions, please call the Butler University IT Help Desk at 317-940-HELP (4357) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement:
Butler University will require COVID-19 vaccinations for all students, faculty, and staff. You can upload proof of your vaccination status to the Health Portal following these instructions. Students who would like to request an exemption from the vaccination requirement should complete the COVID-19 Vaccination Exemption Request Form and send the form to email@example.com with the subject “COVID-19 Exemption Request.” To learn more about the requirement, visit the COVID-19 vaccine requirement website.
There are three additional health requirements you'll want to take care of as well:
1. Provide an updated copy of your immunization records to Health Services before August 1. This record can be from a family doctor or state health agency. Immunization requirements are similar to those required in K-12.
2. A current physical exam (within 12 months of enrollment) is also required. Healthcare providers may complete and sign a general physical form or you may use the Health Services form located under the “Forms” section of the Health Services website.
3. Annually, all undergraduates are requested to either provide proof of their existing health insurance information or enroll in the University sponsored student health insurance program. If you don't take action by the late July billing date, you'll be automatically enrolled in and billed for the University sponsored plan. More information is available here.
Copies of these documents can be faxed to Health Services at 317-940-6403, emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mailed to: Health Services Room 110, 530 West 49th Street, Indianapolis, IN 46208.
All transfer students are required to have their final official high school transcript with posted date of graduation sent to the Office of Admission. If you were admitted with college coursework in progress, you’ll need to request that your official transcript with final grades posted be sent to the Office of Admission as soon as it’s available.
Official transcripts must be sent directly from the issuing institution. They may be sent electronically to email@example.com or mailed to:
Butler University Office of Admission
4600 Sunset Avenue
Indianapolis, IN 46208.
According to federal regulations, scholarships received from any organization are considered a resource available to meet your financial aid eligibility. As a financial aid recipient, a student must report all outside scholarships from sources other than the federal, state, and University programs.
Outside Scholarship Information
- Outside scholarship funds will be used to pay for your family responsibility (out-of-pocket expenses).
- Adjustments in aid may occur if all need-based assistance exceeds financial aid eligibility, the total of all tuition-specific awards exceeds the cost of tuition, or the value of all awards exceeds the total cost of attendance.
- Students are responsible for following up with the scholarship donor to make sure the funds are sent directly to the Office of Financial Aid in a timely manner.
- Checks must be properly endorsed to ensure the appropriate credit to the student’s account.
- Scholarships in the amount of $500 or more will be split evenly between the fall and spring semesters.
Outside scholarships should be reported by sending a copy of the scholarship letter to the Office of Financial Aid. Report any outside scholarships as received.
Butler collects emergency information from all students twice a year. To verify your contact information, read these instructions. There will be a hold placed on your account that blocks registration until you complete this process. Verify your contact information soon to remove the hold.