- Visit Butler
- Apply to Butler
- Request Information
- Virtual Tour
- Find Your Counselor
- Butler on the Road
- Affordability & Aid
- International Admission
- Transfer Admission
- Graduate Admission
- Non-Degree Admission
- Admitted Students
- Resources for High School Counselors
- Butler Alumni Recruiting Corps
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Efforts in the Enrollment Management Division
Transfer New Student Checklist
If you didn't already do so, be sure to view your online decision letter on your student status page. Completing this step will give you access to other important status page activities like registering for admitted student visits (both virtual and in-person!) and replying to your offer of admission, which must be done before you will be able to pay your enrollment deposit.
To do this, log in to your student status page and navigate to the "Status Update" section. Click "View Update".
To officially reserve your place in the incoming class, submit your $500 enrollment deposit online. To avoid bank processing delays, we recommend paying with a credit card instead of a debit card or check.
- Log on to your student status page and navigate to Status Update. Select View Update.
- Select Reply to Offer of Admission under the Forms section. Complete and submit the form.
- From your status page, select Submit Payment for $500. Complete and submit the form.
- Confirm your information, mailing address, and major on the main status page. If anything is listed incorrectly, please contact the Office of Admission.
This deposit is refundable with written request submitted prior to August 1 (fall transfers) or prior to January 1 (spring transfers).
We encourage all prospective #ButlerBound families to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at fafsa.gov. The federal formula takes into account several factors, and many families mistakenly self-select themselves out of the financial aid process and miss the opportunity to explore all aid programs available.
Use school code: 001788.
We offer a number of exclusive visit options—including both on-campus and virtual options—designed specifically for our #ButlerBound students and their families. View options and schedule your campus visit here.
You’ll use your Butler network account throughout your time as a student. As an incoming student, this account will grant you access to your financial aid notification, online bill status, and housing information. Your personal login information and instructions to set up your account will be emailed to you a few weeks after you’re admitted.
Once you've set up your account, you'll be able to access your official Butler email and calendar at outlook.com/butler.edu.
For more information about these steps, preparing your technology for move-in, smartphone email set-up instructions, and more, check out Information Technology's Quick Start for Admitted Students resource.
Admitted students will be able to view all financial aid items in our Student Financial Planning tool.
Students can access the Student Financial Planning tool from My.Butler under Academic Tools. Please be sure to review all Pending items in red on the HOME page, and check out any red numbered notification badges in the navigation header. Check back regularly to be sure that you don’t have anything pending, and watch for your financial aid notification to be available to view sometime after February 1.
Students can grant their parents access to Student Financial Planning, too! Additional instructions on how to navigate your Student Financial Planning tool or grant your parent or guardian access are available here.
Butler University policy requires all students to complete the Acceptance of Financial Responsibility(AFR) process each semester prior to enrollment. The AFR statement outlines your commitment to pay all expenses incurred at Butler University (including any penalties that result due to past due payments). This requirement must be completed prior to enrollment. To complete the process, please follow the steps below:
- Log into your my.butler.edu account and select Self Service Student Homepage.
- Click on the tile marked Tasks then click on Butler Accept Financial Responsibility.
- Review the text thoroughly before clicking Next (at the upper right of the screen).
- Read the agreement and check the box next to Accept Terms and Conditions, then Save. Click Next (at the upper right of the screen).
- Click Finish to complete the process. The indicator will be removed from your account to allow registration.
If you have any problems logging in or have technology related questions, please call the Butler University IT Help Desk at 317-940-HELP (4357) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Virtual Registration is an important milestone in the new student journey. During Virtual Registration, you’ll have an appointment with your academic advisor, schedule your first semester of classes, and learn more about your academic college.
Your advising appointment will be held with the college of your primary major. Appointments are available between mid-April and mid-July, and are conducted virtually by phone or Zoom. In addition to the advising appointment, students are asked to complete a Virtual Registration online course in Canvas.
Beginning March 1, students with an enrollment deposit on file will receive emailed instructions to begin the Virtual Registration process. After completing a Virtual Registration form on the student status page, you will be sent information about any required online placement exams and other next steps to complete prior to your advising appointment.
The online housing application and dining plan selection process for incoming students begins March 15, 2021. Additional housing information will be sent after your $500 enrollment deposit is received. Please note, your $500 enrollment deposit must be submitted and processed in order to access the housing application. To avoid bank processing delays, we recommend paying with a credit card instead of a debit card or check. After the housing application opens, any student who pays a deposit will usually have access to the housing application within 72 hours of the enrollment deposit being received. Complete the housing application as soon as possible after the process opens and before your Virtual Registration date. Housing and roommate assignments will be emailed in July 2021 and specific move-in times will be assigned and emailed in August.
Following a review of transfer credits, it’s possible that a placement exam will be required to determine an appropriate course placement. If a placement exam is needed, you will be contacted by a representative from the Office of Registration and Records with specific information about how to proceed. Any needed placement exams must be completed by the stated deadline.
If you were admitted with college coursework in progress, you’ll need to request that your official transcript with final grades posted be sent to the Butler Office of Admission as soon as it’s available. All admitted transfer students must also submit their final high school transcript with graduation date posted prior to August 1.
According to federal regulations, scholarships received from any organization are considered a resource available to meet your financial aid eligibility. As a financial aid recipient, a student must report all outside scholarships from sources other than the federal, state, and University programs.
Outside Scholarship Information
- Outside scholarship funds will be used to pay for your family responsibility (out-of-pocket expenses).
- Adjustments in aid may occur if all need-based assistance exceeds financial aid eligibility, the total of all tuition-specific awards exceeds the cost of tuition, or the value of all awards exceeds the total cost of attendance.
- Students are responsible for following up with the scholarship donor to make sure the funds are sent directly to the Office of Financial Aid in a timely manner.
- Checks must be properly endorsed to ensure the appropriate credit to the student’s account.
- Scholarships in the amount of $500 or more will be split evenly between the fall and spring semesters.
Outside scholarships should be reported by sending a copy of the scholarship letter to the Office of Financial Aid. Report any outside scholarships as received.
There are three health requirements you'll want to take care of well before Welcome Week:
1. Provide an updated copy of your immunization records to Health Services before August 1. This record can be from a family doctor or state health agency. Immunization requirements are similar to those required in K-12.
2. A current physical exam (within 12 months of enrollment) is also required. Healthcare providers may complete and sign a general physical form or you may use the Health Services form located under the “Forms” section of the Health Services website.
3. Annually, all undergraduates are requested to either provide proof of their existing health insurance information or enroll in the University sponsored program. If you don't take action by the late July billing date, you'll be automatically enrolled in and billed for the University sponsored plan. More information is available here.
Copies of these documents can be faxed to Health Services at 317-940-6403, emailed to email@example.com, or mailed to: Health Services Room 110, 530 West 49th Street, Indianapolis, IN 46208.
The Verify Contact Information process occurs twice a year. A hold will be placed on your account until you move through a three-step process to remove it. You will be unable to register, change, or add classes until the hold is removed. To remove the hold today, read these step-by-step instructions.