Photography and Video
We maintain an extensive library of photography and all images are copyright of Butler University. To use any photograph, users must agree to the following terms of usage:
- Images are for non-commercial use only by Butler students, faculty, staff, friends of the University, and the media for non-commercial use. If you want to use a photo for commercial use, contact Marketing and Communications.
- All images must be credited to Butler University.
- Users may make minor cropping adjustments, but substantial alterations may be made only with the permission of Marketing and Communications.
- The user agrees to be responsible for any claims or liability arising from copyright infringement or unauthorized use of material that may arise in a photo's reproduction or use.
For Butler faculty, staff, and students, there is a wide selection of general use, Butler-related photography on BUfiles. You can find these in bufiles/general/campus photography.
In addition to supporting many of the University’s photography needs, we are available twice a month to take professional headshots of faculty and staff. After headshots have been taken, a copy is placed in bufiles/general/directory photos, sorted by department.
For those without a Butler login, a selection of general Butler photos has been provided below. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request any additional photos.
Please email email@example.com with photography requests and we will do our best to accommodate your needs.
If Taking Your Own Photos
With the convenience of mobile device photography, it’s easy to take your own photos or to collect photos shared by others. Be aware, however, whether planning to use photos in social media, on the website, or in a printed publication, of these guidelines for usage:
- If a photo will be used for a commercial purpose, consent is required by individuals in the photo. Publishing the photo in any University publication, on the University website, or on one of Butler’s sanctioned social media sites would qualify as commercial purpose.
- Members of Butler’s community (students, faculty, and staff) have consensually agreed during their hiring or registration to be photographed for the purpose of marketing the University.
- When photographing people outside our University community (students, faculty, staff), consent to publish photography or video of an individual cannot be assumed. This is especially important regarding minors. Consent can only be official by the signing of a release form. Never publish a photo in print or electronically that features an individual who has not signed a consent form. Download the Model Release Form
The University’s Video Storyteller creates videos to market the University in institutional marketing materials, on the website, and in social media. Projects are aligned with the University’s enrollment goals, strategic priorities, and institutional marketing initiatives. It is not the role of marketing staff to capture photos or create videos that don’t serve a marketing function for the University or to capture photography/video to record events for archival purposes.
If you have a video project you'd like to request, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Butler University YouTube Channel
Butler’s Marketing and Communications video team produces videos for the University’s website and social media. Most often, they are uploaded to Butler’s YouTube channel. While these videos typically come from Marketing and Communications, the channel is not exclusive and welcomes videos from other sources if they meet standards of quality and integrity. M&C staff manages the channel and requests for uploads should be directed to email@example.com.
Please note: There are strict guidelines on YouTube regarding copyright. To avoid any copyright infringement, do not create video content using video or audio elements without express permission from the copyright holder.
For questions on classroom recording, please contact the IT Help Desk at ask.butler.edu.
General Use Butler Photos
Click on an image to view larger, and to save to your computer.