Mathematics & Actuarial Science
Jobs as mathematicians and actuarial science rank in the nation’s Top 3, according to a 2015 Career Cast study. Mathematicians excel in a variety of professional fields, such as industry, science, government, finance, and education. These jobs are financially lucrative, offering a mid-level beginning income of $75,000. They offer abundant opportunities for advancement and, most surprisingly, they often deviate from common perceptions about mathematics careers.
Our Actuarial Science graduates have a 100% placement rate. They are highly successful in the competitive entry-level job market and excel in related fields such as risk management, investment banking, insurance underwriting, and retirement services.
As a Mathematics major, you can
- Participate in numerous opportunities for collaborative research with faculty members, including our Mathematics Research Camp
- Study theoretical mathematics in preparation for a variety of graduate studies
- Receive reimbursements for GRE test fees
- Double-major or minor in Computer Science, Education, Engineering, Music, Economics, and foreign languages, among many other subjects
Actuarial Science Major
As an Actuarial Science major, you can
- Apply your learning in internships and careers at top companies, such as CNO Financial, Allstate, and OneAmerica
- Prepare to take a maximum of four Society of Actuaries aptitude exams before graduation
- Receive test fee reimbursements for each exam passed
- Double-major or minor in Risk Management or optionally earn an MBA in a fifth year through Butler’s College of Business