Off Campus and Commuter Students

Butler University wants every student to be given the support and resources they need to thrive, whether they live on campus or off. Off-campus and commuter students have access to all the services, resources, clubs, and programs afforded to any Butler student. We encourage our off-campus and commuter students to get involved on campus and make Butler your home away from home.

Who is a Commuter?

Butler defines a commuter student as “An undergraduate student who is either granted an exemption from on-campus housing in their first six semesters or, after their sixth semester, lives outside of the 46208 zip code.”

Though Butler undergraduate students generally are required to live on campus for six semesters, students may apply for an exemption to commute to campus.

Commuter Student Center

The Butler University Commuter Student Center is located in Atherton Union, Room 011, and serves as the hub for commuter support and resources. In addition, the Center is a wonderful place to study, meet fellow commuter students, or simply relax outside of class.

The Commuter Student Center is accessible via your student ID, and only those that fit under the University’s definition of commuter have card access. However, commuter students are more than welcome to bring their friends into the space. If you are a commuter student and do not have access to the Center, please contact Caroline Huck-Watson at

The Commuter Student Center features multiple amenities, including lockers, a refrigerator, a microwave, a Keurig, a water cooler, study tables and chairs, white boards, a bulletin board, soft seating, and a television. The lockers are available on a first-come, first-served basis and are locked with a key. In addition to the amenities, the Commuters at Butler student organization regularly stocks the Center with snacks and beverages.

Commuter Lounges and Study Spaces

Aside from the Commuter Student Center, there are many soft spaces that commuters can access to study or hang out.

The Commuters at Butler (CAB) student organization serves as the voice of commuter students on campus. CAB holds events for commuters, maintains the Commuter Student Center, and provides resources. The no-fee organization is open to anyone and welcomes input from the commuter population.

Commuter Orientation

All new students, including first-year and transfer, are required to take part in Orientation. Fall Orientation typically lasts three or four full days and immerses incoming students into life at Butler.

During orientation, there are required commuter-specific sessions. These sessions will appear on the orientation schedule once it is published. Food will be served at these events. In addition, several returning commuter students will be present to answer questions and make connections.

If you are a current commuter student and would like to volunteer for commuter orientation sessions, please contact Caroline Huck-Watson at

Get Involved!

Commuter students are sometimes under the impression that they are not able to participate in the same activities or clubs as residential students. This is not the case! Commuter students are strongly encouraged to join student organizations, attend athletics games and other events, and many more activities. Students also receive a full membership to the Health and Recreation Complex (HRC), so you can access its equipment, programs, and services any time you want.

Want to attend sporting events? Admission to Butler Athletic events is FREE for all full-time, undergraduate students. For ticketed sports, you will need to claim a mobile ticket through the free BU Dawg Pound Student Rewards App. Tickets are required for Men’s and Women’s Basketball, Football, Men’s and Women’s Soccer, and Volleyball. You may attend Baseball, Cross Country, Golf, Women’s Lacrosse, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, and Track & Field without a ticket. These events are free to all, including the general public.

Butler currently has 140+ student organizations that encompass 18 themed categories such as Advocacy, Cultural, Faith-Based, Health & Well-Being, Service, Student Governance, and more.

Interested in learning more about our organizations? Visit the Directory of Student Organizations on Butler Engage. Search groups by name, category, or interest. After finding an organization, learn more about their mission, membership process, and upcoming events by exploring their profile. You can also create a new student organization if you don’t see one that fits your interests.

Frequently Asked Questions