Applying to Dance
Information about the application and audition process for Butler’s Department of Dance can be found below.
When applying to the Jordan College of the Arts, students are required to follow the standard application process outlined on the Office of Admission website. Please note that students must choose “Dance” as their primary major on their academic application in order to receive the supplemental Dance application and information.
Additionally, Dance students are required to submit:
- A Dance-specific Supplemental application including:
- A full length dance photo. Women in black leotard, pink or skin-tone tights—first position arabesque en pointe, Men in white fitted shirts and black tights—attitude derriere relevé.
- Selection of an audition date or submission of an audition video. Applicants will receive instructions on how to proceed with their audition choice as part of the application process. Please note that the student’s application cannot be considered complete until this step has been completed.
Information on these additional requirements is emailed to prospective students after their Common App is submitted.
- November 1: Early Action Deadline (audition video and all other application materials must be submitted by this date to be considered as an Early Action applicant)
- February 1: Regular Decision Deadline (audition video and all other application materials must be submitted by this date to be considered as a Regular Decision applicant)
Begin your application by visiting the Office of Admission website.
2022–2023 Audition Process
Applicants may choose to audition in-person or via video submission.
- In-person auditions are full-day events with activities that will give prospective students a good sense of life as a Butler Dance major. We are truly excited to be able to welcome you to campus for in-person auditions! Audition day dates for fall 2023 admission are:
- October 21, 2022
- October 28, 2022
- November 4, 2022
- November 11, 2022
- January 20, 2023
- February 3, 2023
- February 10, 2023
- February 24, 2023
- Video auditions will be included as part of the Dance supplemental application and must be submitted as a link to an online video. A link to our audition class video will be provided once an applicant chooses to submit a video audition. The video should include all exercises in the audition class, showing both left and right sides for each exercise. Applicants should be in flat ballet shoes (not en pointe) and be dressed appropriately for a ballet class (black leotard, pink or skin-tone tights for women; black tights, black or white shirt for men; with hair up and away from the face). Please use the music in the audition class video as accompaniment.
Please contact JCAadmissions@butler.edu with any questions.
Financial assistance may come from several different sources. Butler offers two types of scholarships that are awarded as part of the application and audition process.
- Academic scholarships are offered to student who demonstrate a strong record of academic excellence in high school.
- Jordan College of the Arts Awards may be awarded to students who display promise in the performing arts.
Jordan College of the Arts Awards for Dance
All in-person auditions completed by February 24, 2023 and video submissions received by February 13, 2023 are considered for a Jordan College of the Arts Awards. JCA Awards for Dance are recommended and determined by the Dance faculty and are based on the applicant’s performance during the audition process. It is important to dress appropriately for an audition and dance your very best during the audition class. The dance faculty considers your presentation of technique, approach to the audition materials, aptitude and potential. Apply and audition early for best opportunity.
Butler also offers additional types of scholarships that require a separate application and interview. We also accept scholarships from outside sources. Please visit the Office of Financial Aid website to learn more about financial aid options and other scholarship opportunities for incoming students.