Butler University, founded on ideals of equity and academic excellence, creates, and fosters a collaborative, stimulating intellectual learning environment. We are inspired to boldly innovate and broadly educate, enriching communities and preparing all learners to lead meaningful lives.
Part of the communities we serve include our employees, their spouses, and dependents. Butler University believes providing life-long learning opportunities for Butler’s faculty, staff and families not only aligns with our mission but also provides well-being for our faculty, staff, and their families to be at their best in the present, in the future and as they continue to make positive impacts to the legacy of our university.
Tuition Remission provides qualified, eligible participants with free tuition toward an undergraduate and/or graduate degree or certain eligible post baccalaureate credit bearing certificate programs. The benefit is for tuition only and does not cover fees or other costs associated with coursework or enrollment.
The Tuition Remission Policy defines specific requirements for eligibility and use of the tuition remission benefit. Please review the details of the policy for eligibility requirements, for differences in eligibility for part-time faculty and staff, adjunct faculty, retirees, and external partners and for application procedures.
Butler University is also a member of The Tuition Exchange which provides assistance to dependents of eligible employees wishing to pursue degree programs at other member schools. Learn more about Tuition Exchange.
Effective fall 2022, the process for tuition remission for employees, legally married spouses and dependents should coincide with the normal Financial Aid Office and Office of Admission timetables and may require as much as six months lead time prior to the expected date of enrollment for full-time student status. Verification of employee eligibility by Human Resources is mandatory.
- Full-time students applying for Tuition Remission must file FAFSA by March 1 each academic year.
- Complete the Tuition Remission Authorization Form for each semester of courses by the first day of each academic term.
- Tuition remission authorizations for Butler employees require the approval of the qualified participant’s supervisor each semester. Supervisor approved email must be uploaded with the tuition remission authorization form. Employees who are applying for Tuition Remission are encouraged to discuss their educational plans with their supervisor at least a semester ahead of intended enrollment to ensure that proper arrangements are made for uninterrupted daily workflow and to make-up for time away from the job.
- Eligibility must be established for each qualified and eligible spouse or dependent. The following required documentation for eligibility must be uploaded with the tuition remission authorization form:
- Marriage certificate for spouse
- Birth certificate for dependents
- Administrative fee of $25 must be submitted via check or cash to the Office of Student Accounts for processing. Electronic payment of fee may be submitted via E-Pay. Fees are non-refundable and subject to change. Fees must be paid before tuition remission is processed.
Upon completion of the application procedures, your application will be reviewed and a determination email will be sent to the employee by Human Resources.