Study Abroad Pre-Departure
We’re so excited that you’ve decided to study abroad! Prior to leaving campus for your semester or summer abroad, there are a few things the Center for Global Education (CGE) needs.
Check out our How To Apply to Study Abroad webpage to see your program-specific application process.
**Once you’ve been accepted in our system** All post-decision materials are due by November 10 for the following spring semester and April 10 for the following summer term/fall semester/academic year.
You will get your courses approved prior to your departure using a Course Approval Form. You will meet with the appropriate Department Chairs/Deans and provide them detailed course descriptions/syllabi so they can choose an equivalent. Detailed instructions on how to seek approval are listed on the form.
You may seek approval for courses before or after you officially register for your courses (depending on your program’s timeline). Please list expected coursework and a few extras on your Course Approval Form, just in case.
Course Approval Forms will be available in the Center for Global Education (Jordan Hall, room 133) at the following times:
- Spring Approvals:
- Available starting October 16
- Due: November 10
- Fall and 3rd Party Provider Summer Approvals:
- Available starting March 16
- Due: April 10
If one of the above dates falls on a weekend or holiday, the forms will be available/due the next business day.
Each semester, the CGE hosts a MANDATORY pre-departure orientation (PDO) for students studying abroad for the following semester or summer. All students going for a summer or semester must attend this meeting. The CGE provides information on how to stay safe abroad and prepare for one of the best semesters of your college career. PDO lasts for 2 hours.
Pre-Departure Orientation (PDO) for Summer 2023* and Fall 2023 programs will be held on Tuesday, April 4, 2023 from 5:30 – 7:30 PM in Pharmacy & Health Sciences Building, room 150.
There are NO makeup sessions and NO one-on-one appointments to go through PDO information.
*Students going on Summer 2023 3rd Party Provider programs are required to attend; summer faculty-led programs will have their own program-specific PDO and are not required to attend this meeting!
- Submit your university’s or 3rd Party Provider’s required forms
- For students living in on-campus housing, you will register for the full year of on-campus housing via the lottery system and later complete this online Housing Cancellation Form by December 1 for the following spring semester or June 1 for the following fall semester for your time abroad. Once the University has confirmed that you are going abroad for the semester, your housing assignment for that semester will be cancelled. Please always refer back to Residence Life’s Housing Policies & Procedures webpage, in case this process and the deadlines are updated
- Apply for or update your passport, if necessary (your passport must be valid for at least 6 months past the end of your program)
- Inform your parents or guardians of the procedure to get a passport so they have proper travel documents, if necessary
- Make travel arrangements (like flight to/from your host country, airport transportation, etc.), if necessary
- See if you need a visa to study abroad in your host country
- Register with the U.S. State Department via their Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)
- Check out country-specific information on the U.S. Department of State’s website and the Center for Disease Control’s (CDC) website (make sure your immunizations are up to date for your study abroad location)
- Make sure you’re covered by health insurance when you are abroad (some countries require a certain amount of coverage to get a visa)
- Talk with your parents or guardians about filling out a Power of Attorney before departure. This grants another person the legal authority or permission to make decisions about your affairs while you are abroad. If interested, you can google for the form and fill it out in front of a notary.
- If you need to store items in the Indianapolis area while you are overseas, renting space through storagesquad.com might be helpful.