Health Insurance While Abroad

It is important for you to have adequate health insurance coverage while you are abroad. As a Butler study abroad student you are automatically enrolled in overseas insurance. 

No matter where you go or what treatment you may seek, save all medical bills and receipts. Your insurance card and details are found on your online application.

How to use Butler’s overseas insurance (provided by Butler):

  1. Print insurance card and carry it in your wallet while abroad (the card is found in your online application)
  2. If it’s a life-threatening emergency, go the doctor/hospital ASAP and receive appropriate medical attention

-Notify faculty/resident director of the situation ASAP

-Notify your family of the situation.

-Call Gallagher Global Assistance 24/7 (1-866-693-6873) before or during your visit to let them know where you are and that you are receiving medical attention. They may be able to arrange payment on your behalf to the treating hospital.

3. If you don’t call Gallagher Global Assistance 24/7 for assistance, you will likely have to pay for medical expenses out of pocket at the time of service. Most foreign medical facilities will not directly bill the insurance company if you just show up to their facility with an insurance card. Keep all of your receipts in the event you find yourself in this situation. Contact the Center for Global Education to submit a claim to be reimbursed.

4. If this is not a life-threatening emergency, call Gallagher Global Assistance 24/7 and request a doctor’s appointment. They will set you up with a doctor’s appointment and arrange payment on your behalf to the treating facility. This way, you won’t have any out of pocket costs.

5. Additionally, check to see if your current medical coverage is valid outside of the United States. Find out how you would file a claim from abroad and how the insurance company would handle the claim.

Health Insurance Visa Requirements for the Schengen Visa

Does your host country’s visa process require you to provide proof of health insurance? We may be able to write you a letter that will be accepted by your country’s consulate! This letter works for most Schengen countries (i.e. most European countries). Known exceptions that will not accept our health insurance letter: Germany, Australia.
To get this letter, please email Calie Dickey ( the following:

  • Full Name (as it appears on your passport)
  • Email
  • Travel Dates
  • Date of Birth
  • Study Abroad Destination

If the Butler insurance does not satisfy your study abroad or visa requirements, you are advised to enroll in an additional policy. If studying through a 3rd Party Provider, you may be required to purchase health insurance through their organization. Certain countries, like Australia, require you to purchase the national health insurance as part of your visa process. Other BU Exchanges will provide guidance on how to purchase health insurance through your host country. If none of these options are available to you, you are encouraged to contact one of the companies listed under the “Supplemental Insurance Providers” header below, all of which offer supplemental insurance for international study.

Supplemental Insurance Providers

The following supplemental insurance providers are options for your consideration. Butler University does not endorse any specific insurance plan. Those listed below are provided for your information and reference. Your decision to purchase coverage from any provider should be made after careful examination of policy coverage. Please contact the policy provider directly for any specific plan questions you may have.

Champion Insurance Advantage, Ltd.

HTH Worldwide Insurance Service

International Scholastic Overseas Service (SOS)

Generali Global Assistance

Virtual International Student Identity Card (ISIC)

The virtual ISIC can be valuable when studying abroad. It is recognized worldwide and immediately proves that you are eligible to receive available discounts on travel, accommodations and admission to museums, theaters and other cultural activities in more than 90 countries. It offers savings of up to 50% over commercial fares on intra-European travel and many other benefits, including illness and accidental death insurance coverage. Additionally, a 24-hour help line is available to holders of the ISIC.

Supplemental travel insurance is also included with the purchase of your ISIC.

Apply for your virtual ISIC here!

All of the cards have gone virtual now, so once you complete the application, it will prompt you to download the ISIC app and enter your information.

Some study abroad programs will automatically provide you with this virtual ISIC and you should check with your program directly to see if this is the case.