Order an Official Transcript
- To avoid any mail delays or interruptions, we recommend that you choose to have transcripts sent electronically, rather than by mail, when possible.
- Be aware that requests for transcripts to be mailed (not to include overnight requests) may take up to 5 business days to process after receipt.
- Transcript requests for overnight delivery that are received after 11:00AM will be processed the next business day.
- If you qualify for a free transcript, we recommend that you submit your completed Free Transcript Request form as a pdf to Registrar@butler.edu. Please be aware it may take up to 5 business days to process after receipt.
- CAS and AMCAS applicants, please note that CAS and AMCAS will maintain regular operations, but recommend students have their transcript delivered electronically, rather than by mail.
Requests for an official copy of your Butler University transcript may be submitted online through our Online Transcript Ordering service provided through the National Student Clearinghouse (NSC), a non-profit organization serving the higher education community.
This service allows us to send electronic transcripts via a link. The electronic transcript link is valid for 45 days for orders processed prior to July 28, 2020. The link for electronic transcript orders processed after this date will not expire. Electronic transcripts must be delivered directly to the intended recipient because the transcript link cannot be forwarded to another recipient. If other documents must be sent with your transcript, you will have the option to upload them at the time of your request. If you have the electronic version sent to you for the purpose of printing and uploading it for an application, please be aware that the word “copy” will appear as a watermark in the background of the printout. Likewise, scanning a paper copy of your official transcript to upload for applications will result in a “void” watermark printed in the background, due to the design of our secure transcript paper. To avoid the watermark background appearing on your uploaded transcript, you may take a photo of the paper transcript with a cell phone and upload the image.
Once you order your transcript, you can track your order via the Transcript Order Status tool. Before ordering a transcript, please be sure to review the following topics and frequently asked questions listed below:
Fees and processing time:
- There is a fee of $9 for each transcript requested. If paying by check, please make the check payable to Butler University.
- The National Student Clearinghouse processing fee is $2.50 per recipient.
- All transcript requests are processed within 5 working days of receipt.
- Overnight delivery is available for an additional $15 charge. Requests for overnight delivery that are received after 11:00AM will be processed the next business day. Overnight delivery to a street address will be sent through FedEx and delivery to a PO Box will be sent through US Postal Service.
The official transcript prints a student’s Primary Name from the student information system; it does not print the student’s Preferred Name.
If you need to order a transcript to upload to a website, you may order either a paper or electronic transcript, if eligible.
- If you order a paper transcript, you will need to either scan or take a picture of the transcript, save it as a pdf, then upload it to the site. Note: when you scan the official transcript, there will be a watermark background due to the security features of our transcript paper. If the recipient has an issue with this, we are happy to mail a paper copy.
- If you prefer to order an electronic transcript, place your order through the National Student Clearinghouse and list your email in the recipient email field. When you receive the link and password to open the transcript, due to security features, you won’t be able to save the transcript as a pdf. Instead, you will need to print the transcript and scan it as a pdf. We are unable to produce an Electronic Transcript for Butler students who attended prior to 1984 or Institute for Study Abroad (IFSA) students who went abroad prior to August 2001.
Free transcripts for Butler students or alumni listed below:
- Butler students graduated or graduating—you are permitted up to five free official transcripts from the time you filed for graduation until one year after you graduate.
- Current Butler students who need a transcript sent directly to a scholarship agency.
- Current Butler students who are studying abroad through Center for Global Education or Institute for Study Abroad (IFSA).
- Current Butler students applying for Pharmacy Licensing
- Current Butler students who are applying for Butler’s Pharmacy program through PharmCAS
- Current students enrolled in the Shortridge Early College Program.
- Electronic transcripts are not included in the free transcripts. If you would like to order a free electronic transcript, you will need to order it through the National Student Clearinghouse. Complete this form and upload it as an attachment to your order, so that we know how you qualify for the free transcript. Please note that we can only reduce the cost of the transcript ($9.00). You will be charged a $2.50 processing fee for the order.
Butler graduates applying for admission to another Butler program through Butler’s Office of Admission do not need to request a Butler transcript through Registration and Records. The Office of Admission can access your Butler transcript.
For more details regarding free transcripts and how to order, click here.
We are unable to produce an Electronic Transcript for the following students:
- Butler students who attended prior to 1984 or Institute for Study Abroad (IFSA) students who went abroad prior to August 2001. These individuals can still use the online service to order a transcript by selecting the ‘Mail’ option from the Delivery Method drop menu.
- Students or alumni requesting a free transcript, unless it is ordered through the National Student Clearinghouse. Click here for details.
The Student Clearinghouse provides delivery of electronic transcripts directly to LSAC and AMCAS.
- When ordering an electronic transcript for delivery to LSAC, the individual is prompted to enter his or her LSAC account number.
- Individuals submitting a transcript to AMCAS need to provide both their AAMC ID and Transaction ID when ordering.
- Use the “Special Instructions” field to communicate special circumstances regarding delivery methods or attachments.
- Do not use this field to request that additional information be added to your official transcript (e.g., SSN, LSAC ID, etc.). We cannot alter information that prints on an official transcript.
If you have trouble ordering or retrieving your electronic transcript, please contact the National Student Clearinghouse. Your question may be answered by reviewing the Help Topics in the National Student Clearinghouse—Help Center.
Helpful topics found on this site include:
- Submitting an Order
- Entering Credit Card Information
- Submitting a Paperless Consent Form
- Track your Order
Or, contact the National Student Clearinghouse at 703-742-4200; M-Th: 9:00 AM–7:00 PM, EST; F: 9:00 AM–5:00 PM, EST.
For all other questions, please call us at 317-940-9203 or 800-368-6852, ext. 9203; M-F: 8:30 AM–5:00 PM, EST.