Skip to main content
Registration and Records
Registration and Records

Order an Official Transcript

Requests for an official copy of your Butler University transcript may be submitted online through our Online Transcript Ordering service provided through the National Student Clearinghouse (NSC), a non-profit organization serving the higher education community. 

This service allows us to send electronic transcripts via a link, which is valid for 45 days. Electronic transcripts must be delivered directly to the intended recipient because the transcript link cannot be forwarded to another recipient.  If other documents must be sent with your transcript, you will have the option to upload them at the time of your request. If you have the electronic sent to you for the purpose of printing and uploading it for an application, please be aware that the word "copy" will appear as a watermark in the background of the printout. Likewise, scanning a paper copy of your official transcript to upload for applications will result in a "void" watermark printed in the background, due to the design of our secure transcript paper. 

Once you order your transcript, you can track your order via the Transcript Order Status tool. Before ordering a transcript, please be sure to review the following topics and frequently asked questions listed below:

How much does an official transcript cost and how long will it take to process my request?

Fees and processing time:

  • There is a fee of $9 for each transcript requested. If paying by check, please make the check payable to Butler University.
  • The National Student Clearinghouse processing fee is $2.50 per recipient, as of September 30, 2019.
  • All transcript requests are processed within 5 working days of receipt.
  • Overnight delivery is available for an additional $15 charge. Requests for overnight delivery that are received after 2:00PM will be processed the next business day. Overnight delivery to a street address will be sent through FedEx and delivery to a PO Box will be sent through US Postal Service. 

Which name type prints on the official transcript, Primary or Preferred?

The official transcript prints a student's Primary Name from the student information system; it does not print the student's Preferred Name.

When do Butler students or alumni qualify for a free transcript?

Free transcripts for Butler students or alumni listed below:

  • Butler students graduated or graduating—you are permitted up to five free official transcripts from the time you filed for graduation until one year after you graduate.
  • Current Butler students who need a transcript sent directly to a scholarship agency.
  • Current Butler students who are studying abroad through Center for Global Education or Institute for Study Abroad (IFSA). 
  • Current Butler students applying for Pharmacy Licensing
  • Current Butler students who are applying for Butler's Pharmacy program through PharmCAS
  • Current students enrolled in the Shortridge Early College Program.
  • Electronic transcripts are not included in the free transcripts.

Butler graduates applying for admission to another Butler program through Butler's Office of Admission do not need to request a Butler transcript through Registration and Records. The Office of Admission can access your Butler transcript.

Submit the Free Transcript Request Form (DOC) by one of the following options:

  • In person at Jordan Hall 180 during office hours (please bring a picture ID)
  • By fax to 317-940-6539
  • By email, attaching a scanned image of your completed request form (with your signature) to 
  • By mail to:
    Butler University
    Registration and Records
    4600 Sunset Avenue
    Indianapolis, IN 46208

Who is ineligible to order an electronic version of a transcript?

We are unable to produce an Electronic Transcript for the following students:

  • Butler students who attended prior to 1984 or Institute for Study Abroad (IFSA) students who went abroad prior to August 2001. These individuals can still use the online service to order a transcript by selecting the 'Mail' option from the Delivery Method drop menu.
  • Butler students requesting a transcript to be uploaded through the Common App web portal. Students should complete a paper transcript request form and indicate "Common App" in the memo area. Payment for the transcript by cash or check should accompany the paper form. Do not request an electronic transcript when using the Common App web portal.
  • Students or alumni requesting a free transcript. Free transcript requests should be submitted using the Free Transcript Request Form (DOC) by one of the following methods:
    • In person at Jordan Hall, Room 180 during office hours (please bring a picture ID)
    • By fax to 317-940-6539
    • By email, attaching a scanned image of your completed request form (with your signature) to
    • By mail to:
      Butler University
      Registration and Records
      4600 Sunset Avenue
      Indianapolis, IN 46208  

Can you deliver an electronic transcript directly to LSAC or AMCAS?

The Student Clearinghouse provides delivery of electronic transcripts directly to LSAC and AMCAS. 

  • When ordering an electronic transcript for delivery to LSAC, the individual is prompted to enter his or her LSAC account number. 
  • Individuals submitting a transcript to AMCAS need to provide both their AAMC ID and Transaction ID when ordering.

How should I utilize the Online Ordering Service "Special Instructions" field?

  • Use the "Special Instructions" field to communicate special circumstances regarding delivery methods or attachments.  
  • Do not use this field to request that additional information be added to your official transcript (e.g., SSN, LSAC ID, etc.). We cannot alter information that prints on an official transcript.  

​Having trouble ordering or retrieving your electronic transcript?

If you have trouble ordering or retrieving your electronic transcript, please contact the National Student Clearinghouse. Your question may be answered by reviewing the Help Topics in the National Student Clearinghouse—Help Center.

Helpful topics found on this site include:

Or, contact the National Student Clearinghouse at 703-742-4200; M-Th: 9:00 AM–7:00 PM, EST; F: 9:00 AM–5:00 PM, EST.

For all other questions, please call us at 317-940-9203 or 800-368-6852, ext. 9203; M-F: 8:30 AM–5:00 PM, EST.