Skip to main content

Error message

Notice: Undefined index: bundle in fieldable_panels_panes_load_from_subtype() (line 995 of /var/www/html/sites/all/modules/contrib/fieldable_panels_panes/fieldable_panels_panes.module).
Registration and Records
Registration and Records

Name / Gender / Address Information

Local Address Requirement

It is necessary that the University have a means to contact each student in case of an emergency or University business.

We are implementing a procedure that requires students to provide local contact information and phone on a yearly basis. This information can be accessed by your advisor and your instructors and may be used by them to contact you. You can mark the phone you wish to be used as your primary contact as you update the system.

Each fall, students who are attending classes in the Indianapolis area and do not live in University housing must complete these two steps:

  1. Make sure you have a local address on file in, even if it is the same as your home address. (Ask.Butler)
  2. "Verify Contact Information"—This is a special process in (Ask.Butler)

Registration and Records sends an email reminder to students who still need to complete these two steps. If they are not complete by the time Advising starts for the next semester, those students will receive a "hold" that inhibits only registration. This hold is automatically removed when you go through the "Verify Contact Information" process.

Name / Gender / Address Changes

Former students should report name, gender, or address changes to the Butler Alumni Association.

Address change for current students

To change your local or home/permanent address, log on to at any time and enter the change yourself. Check Ask.Butler for instructions on how to accomplish this change.

Name change for current students

To change your preferred name (which is reflected on the class roster and in Canvas), log on to at any time and enter the change yourself. Check Ask.Butler for instructions on how to accomplish this change.

To change your primary/legal name (which is reflected on your official transcript), please complete the bio-demographic change form and submit it, along with a copy of your Social Security card reflecting the new name, to Registration and Records. We cannot accept name changes over the phone, but we can accept it via mail, fax, or in-person.

Gender change for current students

Students wishing to change their gender should make this request in writing (e.g. email, fax, letter) directly to Registration and Records. Students may also choose to visit our office in person and complete the bio-demographic change form.


Registration and Records
Jordan Hall, Room 180
4600 Sunset Avenue
Indianapolis, IN 46208

FAX: 317-940-6539