Phi Sigma Iota
Phi Sigma Iota, the international Foreign Language Honor Society, recognizes outstanding accomplishment in the study or teaching of any of the academic fields related to foreign language, literature, or culture, as well as Classics, Linguistics, Philology, Comparative Literature, Bilingual Education, Second Language Acquisition, and other interdisciplinary programs with a significant foreign language component.
Phi Sigma Iota is the highest academic honor in the field of foreign languages. There are approximately 180 chapters at institutions of higher learning in the United States and at American University in Paris, France.
- Junior or senior undergraduate student of foreign languages
- Have already completed at least one course at the third year
- GPA within all foreign language courses of at least 3.0*
- Cumulative GPA of at least 3.0
- Rank in the highest third of your class in general scholarship
Outstanding foreign language faculty members at college and universities are also eligible. New members are typically inducted each March or April.
Any questions, please contact faculty advisor Professor of French Dr. Sylvie Vanbaelen.
* = For help with this, please see the “Calculate the GPA Within Your Major” section on our Departmental Honors webpage.