Interested in becoming a member of the Health and Recreation Complex? You’ve come to the right place! Check out the information below for pricing, types of memberships available, equipment checkout, parking, and more.
While all HRC members must be 16 years or older, weekends mean family time at the HRC. Members may bring their children who are not yet 16 years old to enjoy this great facility free of charge from 5:00 PM Friday until 5:00 PM Sunday. Note that those under 16 years of age are restricted to the gym and aquatic center.
The HRC staff is happy to give tours of the building at any time. Just stop in and ask for a tour. Information for self-guided tours is also available. However, for large groups, we ask that you call us in advance for group tours at 317-940-6131.
For more membership information, please contact email@example.com or 317-940-6073.
Butler Full-Time Undergraduates:
- Annual membership paid via student fees
Butler Part-Time/Grad Students:
- 1 semester: $275 at start of semester and prorated each day
Alumni and Affiliates:
- Annual: $590
- 3-Month: $160
- 1-Month: $55
- Day Pass: $10
Butler Part-time Employees:
- Annual: $250
- 3-Month: $100
- 1-Month: $35
- Day Pass: $3
- Free Entrance: Monday-Friday 6-8am, 12-1pm, 4-6pm
Additional Family Members (16+ years old):
- Annual: $300
- 3-Month: $80
- 1-Month: $30
Full: $60 annual
Half: $30 annual
Refunds will be given in select instances and will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 317-940-6073.
Undergraduate students enrolled in at least 12 credit hours are automatic members of the HRC during the current semester they are enrolled. Fees are paid via the student activity fee. Note: If full-time students are enrolled for BOTH the fall and spring terms, the student will have access to the HRC throughout the following summer, until August 1 of that year. If students are NOT enrolled full time for both semesters, the student must purchase a summer membership as a part-time student would be required to do.
Graduate and Part-Time Students
Students enrolled in graduate classes or undergraduate students enrolled in less than 12 hours need to purchase memberships. Graduate and part-time students do not pay the activity fee that pays for HRC membership, thus they are required to pay out-of-pocket.
Butler Full Time Employees (Faculty and Staff)
Membership is included in the employee benefits package.
Butler Part Time Employees (Faculty and Staff)
All faculty and staff employed by the university. Verification of current Faculty and Staff Butler University I.D. is necessary to join. Faculty and staff members can elect for payroll deduction if an annual membership is purchased.
Individuals who graduated from Butler University.
Additional Family Members
Members may add additional members to their HRC membership. An additional member must be either a spouse, partner, or dependent 16 yrs or older who live with the primary member. Proof of that relationship may be required.
Dependents under the age of 16 must enter the HRC with their parent or legal guardian and be accompanied by them at all times. For more information, see the Dependent Child Policies under ‘Policies’ on the HRC main website.
The following groups are considered Affiliates. Anyone who works for these are eligible for a membership.
- Greek house directors
- Campus religious advisors
- Board of Trustees
- Ovid Butler Society
- Retired faculty/staff
- Volunteer coaches – Athletics and Club Sports
- Adjunct faculty
- Part-time staff
- Institute for Study Abroad full-time, salaried employees
- Christian Theological Seminary (CTS) Students, Faculty & Staff
- Follett full-time, salaried employees
- Ruffalo Cody
- Dining Services full-time, salaried employees
- Visiting Lecturers (approved by department or dean)
- Indianapolis Children’s Choir
- Indianapolis Symphonic Choir
- Indianapolis Chamber Orchestra
- Dance Kaleidoscope
- American Pianist Association
Guest passes entitle non-members access to the facility through a sponsorship by a current member. The current member must be present and accompany their guest in the gym. Guest passes are $10 and can be purchased at the front desk.
All guests who are 16 or older must show a valid photo ID, such as a driver’s license. Guests 16 and under must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian at all times. Non-participant entry into the HRC for things such as tours and events does not require the purchase of a guest pass. However, some form of ID may be necessary.
Self-Sponsored Guest Passes
Self-sponsored day passes are for non-members who are Butler part-time/grad students, Butler employees, alumni, and approved affiliates. Proof is required. Self-sponsored day passes are $3 for part-time students/employees and graduate students and are $10 for alumni and affiliates and can be purchased at the front desk.
The men’s and women’s locker rooms each have restroom facilities, showers, and more than 200 lockers. Two gender-neutral restrooms are located in the pool corridor and contain restroom facilities and a shower.
Lockers are available for rent at a minimal cost. Please see Membership Pricing. Day locks for locker room usage and day lockers on the main floor are available.
Towels are available free of charge. Please return towels at the end of use.
The HRC has much to offer, including:
- Two-court gymnasium that can accommodate basketball, volleyball, and badminton
- Six lane lap-swimming pool
- Leisure pool for water basketball, volleyball, bubble benches, or lazy river
- Hot tub
- Men’s, women’s, and gender neutral locker rooms
- Two multipurpose rooms for use with group exercise classes or club sport practices
- Free-weight room with Hammer Strength equipment
- Cardio and selectorized weight machine area that includes Precor, Matrix, and Cybex pieces (over 60 pieces in all)
- 1/10 mile jogging track
- Fitness assessment and massage therapy room
- Conference room that seats approximately 30-40
- Student lounge (aka “Living Room”) with study areas, large TV, pool table, and table tennis
Any registered student, faculty member, staff member, or member of an affiliated group with office space on campus:
- Must register their vehicle and obtain a current year parking permit to park anywhere on campus or an authorized city street.
- Is prohibited from parking on the streets within the Butler Tarkington Neighborhood.
All other HRC members should use visitor parking in the nearby parking garage.
For a full explanation of this policy, please visit butler.edu/parking. All questions pertaining to parking on campus should be directed there.
HRC members and patrons will be allowed to park in the Sunset Avenue Garage on days when the Hinkle Lot is blocked off due to University and Non-University events. Members and patrons will need to identify themselves as going to the HRC and also possess a valid HRC parking tag or decal. Without the HRC parking tag or decal, members and patrons will be subject to the $10 parking fee.
Please click here for the 2021–2022 Men’s Basketeball schedule.
The HRC strongly recommends that individuals not bring valuable items to the facility when working out. All items left behind will be held at the Control Desk for two weeks. However, valuable items, such as wallets and rings, will be immediately turned over to the Butler University Police Department.