Skip to main content
Aerial view of campus
Addressing Sexual Misconduct The Butler Way

Report an Incident

If you have experienced sexual misconduct, are encouraged, but not required, to make a report. The decision is entirely your own.

Deciding whether and how to make a report can be difficult. You do not have to make a decision right away, but you are encouraged to seek medical attention and to preserve evidence as quickly as possible. Centers of Hope at Indianapolis-area hospitals provide free and confidential medical assistance and evidence collection and preservation.

If you would like to discuss your reporting options before making a decision, there are several confidential resources available to you on campus. Please note that most employees on campus, other than those confidential resources, have an obligation to report to the University when they become aware of an incident of sexual misconduct.

Information is available on this site about both confidential on-campus and off-campus resources.

If you do decide to make a report, you have options, including:

  • Reporting to BUPD or local law enforcement
    • You can choose this option if you would like to pursue a criminal process related to the incident.
    • BUPD is located at 525 W. Hampton Drive. They can be reached by phone at 317-940-9999 (emergencies) or 317-940-2873.
    • Dial 911 for local law enforcement
  • Reporting to the University
    • This can initiate an investigation under University policy, but reporting to the University does not mean that an investigation will take place automatically. You also have the option of making a report but declining to pursue an investigation.
    • You can submit a report to the University via our online report form, which will be received by the Title IX Coordinator.
    • You can also contact the Title IX Coordinator via email at or by calling 317-940-6509.
    • Learn how the University responds to a report of sexual misconduct.