Vehicle registration and parking restrictions are designed to identify vehicle ownership and to provide for orderly placement of vehicles. Butler University (herein referred to as “University”) reserves the right to restrict where vehicles park.
Registration and parking regulations are based on a legal commitment with the City of Indianapolis and the Butler-Tarkington Neighborhood Association. Additional authority to regulate parking on campus is in compliance with Indiana Code 21-17-5-7. The University provides parking in designated locations on campus.
All students, faculty, staff, and University affiliates who bring a car to campus are required to register their car with the Office of Parking Services.
Any registered student, faculty member, staff member, or member of an affiliated group with office space on campus:
- must register their vehicle and obtain a current year parking permit to park anywhere on campus or an authorized city street,
- is prohibited from parking on the streets within the Butler Tarkington Neighborhood (see Neighborhood Parking section below for further details)
Parking regulations are enforced 24 hours a day unless otherwise noted. All persons parking their vehicle on University-controlled property and surrounding streets are required to adhere to all regulations.
- Signage—Parking areas are identified by signs and stall markers.
- Parking Hours—All areas are enforced 24 hours a day, seven days a week, unless otherwise noted on the posted sign for the designated area.
- Special Events—All visitors and guests should park in the Sunset Avenue Garage, unless otherwise noted.
Parking areas on campus have been designated in the following categories, and vehicles shall park in the designated lot(s)corresponding with the issued permit:
- Permit A: Faculty, Staff, Emeritus, and Affiliate Parking
- Permit B: Student Resident Parking
- Permit I: Student, Long-Term Parking
- Permit C: Student Commuter Parking (non-resident)
- Permit E: Evening and Weekend Student Commuter Parking (non-resident)
- Permit HV: Housing Village Parking
- Permit FIR: Faculty-in-Residence Parking
- Permit M: Motorcycle or Scooter Parking
- Permit R: Butler Tarkington Resident
- Permit T: University Terrace (UT), Christian Theological Seminary (CTS), Butler Terrace (BT) Parking
- Permit U: University-owned or -affiliated vehicles only
- Permit Garage Parking: Responsible for hourly garage rate
Butler University, in agreement with the Butler-Tarkington Neighborhood Association (BTNA), has placed restrictions for parking on neighborhood streets. Student, faculty, staff, and affiliate vehicles are required to park on University-controlled property as a result of a legal commitment. The only exceptions are designated city-controlled streets with signs that read "Butler University permitted parking, by permit only;" the north side of 49th Street from Sunset Avenue to Boulevard Place; the south side of 52nd Street from Sunset to Boulevard Place; and the east side of Boulevard Place from 52nd Street to 49th Street. Vehicles parking on these streets are required to be registered with the Department of Public Safety Office of Parking Services.
Neighborhood Parking Permit
Any faculty, staff, or student residing in the Butler-Tarkington Neighborhood is permitted to be issued a Butler University BTNA permit, identifying them as a resident of the neighborhood. The permit can be obtained at the Office of Parking Services during business hours. In order to obtain a permit, the resident must show a copy of their lease or a current utility bill statement. This permit does not allow you to park on University or University-controlled property. You will be subject to a citation. There is no cost for the decal.
You may apply for the permit online or obtain the application forms at the Office of Parking Services.
The resident must provide the following information:
- Verification of current residence
- Verification of current Indiana vehicle registration (if the vehicle is not registered to the applicant address, the applicant must provide 2 forms of ID reflecting the approved address (i.e. utility bill, lease, check stub or similar documentation.)
- Valid telephone number
Permits expire on December 31 of the calendar year.
For further information, contact the Right-of- Way Permits Section at 317-327-8583.
Faculty-in-Residence-designated spaces are reserved for specific faculty who reside in the residence halls. These are designated tow-away zones. This restriction is enforced 24 hours a day, seven days a week. A violation of this policy could result in a ticket being issued as well.
University-owned-designated spaces are reserved for University-controlled vehicles and are designated tow-away zones. This restriction is enforced 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
ADA-designated spaces are reserved for persons with vehicles displaying the correct authorization to park there; these are designated tow-away zones. This restriction is enforced 24 hours a day, seven days a week. A violation of this policy could result in a ticket being issued as well.
The parking area of Hinkle Fieldhouse, except where otherwise designated, is an overflow parking area. Registration requirements are enforced in this area.
Metered parking areas are designated open parking and are designated tow-away zones. This restriction is enforced 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The University vehicle registration requirement is enforced in these spaces.
Assigned Parking Locations
There are a small number of spaces reserved for a specific user. These areas are designated by specific signs and are enforced 7:00 AM–7:00 PM, Monday through Friday, unless otherwise noted on the sign. These spaces are designated tow-away zones for vehicles found in violation.