Skip to main content

Error message

Notice: Undefined index: bundle in fieldable_panels_panes_load_from_subtype() (line 995 of /var/www/html/sites/all/modules/contrib/fieldable_panels_panes/fieldable_panels_panes.module).
Welcome Week


For questions specifically related to the University's response to COVID-19, view the COVID-19 Information for the Butler Community page.

General Orientation Questions

What do I eat during Orientation?

Meals during Orientation are planned and provided as a part of Orientation programming. 

How much does Orientation cost for new students?

To cover a portion of the cost of Orientation, all new first-year and transfer students are charged a one-time fee of $165. This fee will be charged directly to your student account.

Is Orientation a requirement for all students?

Yes! Orientation is a crucial part of the transition period to college life and navigating Butler, so it is important for all new students to participate.

All new and transfer students will participate in required Orientation programs the week of August 21 - 24. 

Students will be integrated into Orientation groups based on their First Year Seminar classes where they will be mentored by a returning Butler student called a Student Orientation Guide. During Orientation, students will learn about campus resources, get to know their college and department, meet faculty and staff, build community with one another, have fun in social programming and prepare for their first year at Butler!  

Information will be updated via the Orientation website as it is confirmed, and also through the @ButlerOrientation instagram account

Questions can be directed to


What online information should I reference before coming to campus?

You are off to a great start by visiting the Orientation website!

  • Your Butler Email (
  • Butler Bulletins sent to your email bi-weekly
  • New Student Orientation Canvas Course (to be opened in late July)
  • The Butler App provide insightful tips for navigating college life

Are there programs for students to participate in after move-in? 

The Office of New Student & Family Programs will feature family engagement during move-in weekend (Saturday, August 21, and Sunday, August 22) for new, transfer and sophomore students. These programs will feature opportunities to connect with other families, meet campus faculty, staff, and administrators, as well as learn about campus resources.  

Information will be updated via the Orientation website as it is confirmed, and also through the @ButlerOrientation instagram account

Questions can be directed to

Do I have to do anything before Orientation/Move-in?

All new and transfer students will be required to complete a series of online educational modules for campus and community resources this will include information from the following source and others:

  • Student Life resources
  • Academic support
  • Alcohol and other drugs
  • Sexual Assault prevention
  • Diversity, equity, and inclusion 
  • Other special topics

The New Student Orientation Canvas Course will open in late July. 

Are there programs for families to participate in during Orientation/move-in?

The Office of New Student & Family Programs will feature family engagement during move-in weekend (Saturday, August 21, and Sunday, August 22) for new, transfer and sophomore students. These programs will feature opportunities to connect with other families, meet campus faculty, staff, and administrators, as well as learn about campus resources.  

Information will be updated via the Orientation website as it is confirmed, and also through the @ButlerOrientation instagram account

Questions can be directed to

How do I access the Butler App?

The Butler App is available for download on both Apple and Android phones. To access this efficiently, use your Butler log-in and password. This app will update constantly and can offer information regarding schedules and services.

Should I activate my Butler email before coming to campus?

Yes! The Butler ( email is a great way to get started communicating with peers, staff, faculty and more. This will also be used frequently to distribute important information regarding your move-in time slot/information, personalized orienation schedule, and more.

Where do I find my Orientation schedule?

More info coming soon!

Getting Involved

How can I get involved on campus?

Butler University is home to more than 150 recognized student groups; each planning events that contribute to our vibrant social environment. To learn more about our recognized student groups and to view a calendar of their upcoming events, student should visit Butler Engage. Butler Engage is our virtual center for everything involvement.

Beyond Butler Engage, one of the first opportunity that occurs annually to learn more about our student groups is the  Student Organization Block Party. This year the Office of Student Activities is committed to providing students with a reimagined Block Party that fulfill students desires to explore our diverse student organization community in person. Presently our team is considering several scenarios to facilitate this event safely. Once a decision is reached regarding the 2020 Student Organization Block Party information will be posted to the Butler Engage Calendar.

How do I join Marching Band, Color Guard or a Music Ensemble?

If you would like to join the Marching Band, Basketball Band, or Color Guard, contact Matthew Smith by email or at 317-940-9876. More information can be found on the athletic bands website.

Music majors AND any student interested in participating in orchestra, concert band, or choir should view the virtual audition instructions. Questions? Email

  • Incoming students interested in joining a choir do not need to audition. You can simply register for University Choir (ES 117).

  • Questions about the Symphonic Band can be answered by Brian Weidner or Matt Smith and questions about Wind Ensemble can be answered by Michael Colburn.

  • For the Butler Symphony Orchestra, contact Richard Clark.

  •  Note: University Choir and Symphonic Band can count towards a student’s Perspectives in the Creative Arts requirement (PCA 242). Questions? Contact Brian Weidner.

Where can I find student employment?

For on-campus employment information, go to the Career and Professional Success (CaPS) site here: Student Employment at Butler. You can also log into Butler's online job search portal, Handshake, to search for on-campus jobs. Every fall semester, CaPS hosts the "Get Hired!" job fair, with on- and off-campus part-time job opportunities. This year's fair will take place virtually on Friday, August 28th from 2-4pm For questions, contact the CaPS office at, or visit the office in the new Business Building, Suite 102 on the first floor.

Financial Aid

Visit Financial Aid online.

When will my financial aid appear on my bill?

Financial aid will be credited to the student account after confirmation of enrollment for the semester on the fifth day of class. You are encouraged to compare your Statement of Student Account and your Financial Aid Notification for accuracy.

What do I need to do for my student loans?

Students who complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) are eligible for Federal Direct Loans. You must accept your loans, Complete Subsidized/Unsubsidized Entrance Counseling, and Sign Your Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized MPN via your Student Financial Planning home page.

What do I do with my outside scholarship check?

Please send your outside scholarship check to the Office of Financial Aid so it is credited to your student account properly. You must report receipt of an outside scholarship by sending a copy of the scholarship letter to the Office of Financial Aid.

I still have a balance on my account, what can I do?

Butler University offers a wide range of programs to help families pay for educational expenses. These programs include a convenient payment plan, the Federal Direct PLUS Loan, or private education loans. Information about these programs is available online or by contacting the Office of Financial Aid at

Information Technology

Visit Information Technology online

How can I get help with technology?

The IT Help Desk assists students with a variety of technology questions and issues. Have a question? First, search Can’t find the answer to your question? Submit a case and a technician will contact you.  

What do I need to know about technology on campus?

Check out the Quick Start for New Students page for information about how to set or change your password, access your Butler email, print on campus, access campus wireless, and more!

What do I need to do to prepare my technology before moving to campus?

Check out the Prepare for Move-In Guide from Butler Information Technology. This guide includes information about how to prepare your existing technology before moving to campus, what technology you should bring and leave at home, and how to access discounts on computers and software.

Where do I access information about my classes? 

Butler uses a cloud-based learning management system called Canvas for course materials.  Those new to Canvas are encouraged to access and work through the Canvas Student Orientation which consists of short videos and text instruction. Another helpful resource is the Canvas Student Guide for just-in-time help with specific features of Canvas. Please note that not all Butler instructors elect to utilize Canvas. Your instructor will communicate the location of course materials.

Study Abroad

Visit the Center for Global Education online.

Why should I study abroad?

There are many personal and professional reasons to study abroad. Most past participants have said that studying abroad helped them focus their academic and career goals, taught them about living and working with people of different cultures, and even taught them more about themselves. Study abroad provides an opportunity to develop your leadership skills and gain new skills. Studying abroad also enhances your preparation for living in a culturally diverse social environment and working in a global marketplace.

Can I use my financial aid while abroad?

Yes, but there are restrictions on the type of aid you can use while abroad. Regardless of the type of program you choose, you will continue to pay Butler University tuition for the semester you are abroad (instead of the cost of the program listed on their website). Your federal, state, and outside scholarships/grants/loans will continue to apply to all types of programs, as allowed. In regard to your Butler institutional scholarships and grants:

  • If you choose to study on a 3rd Party Provider program, then 50 percent of your Butler financial aid will apply toward the cost of tuition (only for that semester).
  • If you select a reciprocal Exchange through Butler or ISEP, then 100 percent of your Butler financial aid will apply toward the cost of tuition.
  • If you select a semester-long Faculty-Led program (GALA or Butler Semester in Spain), then 100 percent of your Butler financial aid will apply toward the cost of tuition.
  • If you are planning on going abroad on a summer study abroad program, financial aid for summer is limited. It typically includes loan assistance and sometimes a federal grant. Summer study abroad is similar to summer school – you can learn more on Butler’s Summer School Aid webpage.

If you have questions as to how a certain type of study abroad program will affect your financial aid for that semester, please reach out to Financial Aid directly.

Who can help me decide whether study abroad is for me?

  • The Center for Global Education's Associate Director for Study Abroad and the Study Abroad Advisor, experienced professionals in the field of international education.
  • Faculty members, many of whom have extensive international experience and advised other students on reasons to take some of your courses in a foreign environment.
  • 3rd Party Provider and university representatives, who can point out the particular features of the programs they offer.
  • Butler students who have returned from study abroad.

Where do I begin my search for a study abroad program?

Please check out our Steps to Study Abroad webpage to see what your steps to study abroad are. There are six important steps, the first of which is to attend a general Study Abroad Information Session.

Do I have to speak another language to study abroad?

No! There are many programs, in English-speaking and non-English speaking destinations alike, that offer courses across all majors of study in English for our students. Students are then able to either take a course in a secondary language or find a program that does not have a language requirement at all (though we recommend taking at least an intro level language course to help you get around your host country).

What majors can study abroad?

Students from every major can study abroad for a full semester. When considering study abroad, particularly for majors that tend to be very rigid in their course plans, it is very important to talk to your academic advisor as soon as possible to create a four-, five-, or six-year plan (depending on your major) to see when your best semester to study abroad is, as well as to discuss what classes you will need to take during that semester to keep you on track. Once you know that information, you can research programs that offer courses in that specific semester to keep you on track.

Residence Life

How will I receive my housing assignment?

Housing assignments will be sent via email.

What will be included in my housing assignment email?

  • Student's building and room information
  • The link to log back into the housing application if you'd like to view any roommates and/or suitemates you were placed with
  • Information regarding move-in appointments

Can I mail items to Butler before I arrive?

Please contact Residence Life about the ability to mail items before you arrive to campus.

Where can I find more information about Residence Life?

For more information about Residence Life, check out the Residence Life FAQ.

Can I switch rooms after moving in?

Room changes will not be permitted this year, per the recommendation of Butler Health Services to minimize the spread of COVID-19. Students and their families will be provided resources with tips to mediate conflict, and residential staff will support students through roommate issues, as they arise, by utilizing their Residential Living Agreement to work towards resolution.

Dining Services

How do I know if there is a food service update or special event?

Food service updates and special events can be found on Instagram @bonappetitbutler or at 

What are your different dining locations?

Marketplace @ Atherton Union

Opens for service on August 16th, dinner only 4:00pm-8:00pm. Regular hours begin August 17th.

Monday - Friday

Breakfast 7:30AM - 10:30AM

Lunch 11:30AM - 2:30PM

Dinner 4:00PM - 8:00PM

Café will be closed between service times

Saturday - Sunday

Brunch 9:00AM - 2:00PM

Dinner 4:00PM - 8:00PM

The Marketplace in Atherton Union is one of two locations you can use your meal blocks.  In the Marketplace you enter on the south side of the building to swipe into the café following the pathway to one of three stations.  We have made a few adjustments to the layout and offer three identical serving stations with a wide array of locally sourced meals. This location will allow you to dine-in in the limited seating space or grab carry out. 



Opens for service on August 17 at 11:00am

Monday - Friday

Lunch 11:00AM - 2:00PM

Sunday - Thursday

Dinner 3:30PM - 7:00PM

No dinner available on Friday or Saturday

ResCo Café is the second location that allows you to use your meal blocks. This location will mimic the meals offered at the Marketplace in Atherton, allowing each student to be served quickly in both locations.  ResCo will offer two identical locally sourced stations with all carry out packaging.  Seating in the space will be adjusted to allow for physical distancing.


Plum Market Kitchen at C-Club 

Opens for service on August 16th at 8:00am


8:00AM - 12:00AM

Plum Market Kitchen at C-Club will be a new market for students to get creative, fresh selections of on-trend foods and can't-live-without sundries -with a focus on the very best selections of natural, organic, local, and specialty items. Plum Market will offer a limited made-to-order menu during the fall semester to allow for quicker service.  There will also be some adjustments to the layout of the space to allow for students to be safely distanced.


The Butler Brew at the Business Building

Opens for service on August 24th

Monday - Friday

7:00AM - 5:00PM 

No service Saturday or Sunday

The new business building that houses the Lacy School of Business, now holds a sleek new coffee spot, featuring local Julian Roasters coffee and local Illinois Street Food Emporium pastries. This café will capture the entrepreneurial spirit while promoting local successful businesses. We will offer mobile ordering for this location.  Keep an eye out for what app to download.


Nutrition Café at the HRC

Will remain closed for at least the Fall semester of 2020.  Plans to reopen the café will be communicated via the Butler App and Instagram @bonappetitbutler by winter break.



Opens for service on August 19th

Monday - Friday

7:00AM - 10:00PM

Saturday - Sunday

8:00AM - 10:00PM

A full-service Starbucks is located in Atherton Union adjacent to the bookstore. This location will have an ordering app and specified pickup areas for the app.  Keep an eye out for what app to download.


What are my convenience store options?

Trip's Corner Market @ Apartment Village is open daily, 10:00 AM–10:00 PM. Trip's Corner Market will open for service on August 19th. The Corner Market is loaded with fun and different local products that we prepare in the café daily. We also have a recipe program that allows you to purchase all the items in one recipe to make at home. Limited number of guests will be allowed in at one time.

I have a food allergy. What can I eat?

We start with cooking food in its rawest form, from scratch, we can label create dishes to satisfy almost any pallet or allergen. We have well trained chefs and dieticians that are ready to help, as well as a set of easy to read icons on our menus that help our guests navigate our food program. This ensures that you will be able to make confident food choices. If you have specific dietary needs or would like to discuss this directly please contact Resident Dietitian Katy Maher at or stop by Katy's office in the Marketplace @ Atherton Union, Room 112R - right off the café.

If I forget/lose my student ID, can I have lunch anyway?

If you have forgotten your ID, you will need to go back and retrieve it. If you have lost your ID, please go to University Police to get a new one then email Butler Dining at with your first and last name and new ID number so your meal plan can be reconnected.

May I use my ID to pay for both myself and my friend for a meal?

Yes! Depending on the type of meal plan you have there are a set amount of guest meals. Please see the bullet points below:

  • Block 300 and Block 250 meal plan holders have the ability to use 40 of their block meals as a Flex Meal (which would be a Meal Option in retail locations) or as a Guest Meal.
  • Block 115 meal plan holders have the ability to use 60 of their block meals as a Flex Meal (which would be a Meal Option in retail locations) or as a Guest Meal.
  • Block 50 meal plan holders have the ability to use 40 of their block meals as a Flex Meal (which would be a Meal Option in retail locations) or as a Guest Meal.
  • Block 25 meal plan holders have the ability to use 20 of their block meals as a Flex Meal (which would be a Meal Option in retail locations) or as a Guest Meal.

Flex Dollars FYI

Flex Dollars can be used in the Atherton Marketplace, Starbucks, Plum Market, Convenience Store, HRC, and ResCo. Students may dine, purchase items to go, or just grab a cup of coffee. Unspent Flex Dollars DO NOT rollover from Semester to Semester. Flex Dollars are not refundable.

How do I add Dawg Bucks?

Adding Dawg Bucks is easy.  Simply click the link in your Butler App under your meal plan to add.  If you have trouble, email Butler Dining at

How do I view the daily menu?

Daily menus are available at, you can also get them sent directly to your email each morning by subscribing to menu mail here.  

Counseling and Consultation Services (CCS)

Visit Counseling and Consultation Services online.

What is counseling?

Counseling is a collaborative process between a student and a trained professional aimed at helping the student identify concerns, develop alternatives, and gain an increased understanding of themselves and others.

What kinds of services does the Counseling and Consultation Services office provide?

CCS provides individual, couples, and group counseling to currently enrolled students. We also offer educational outreach programs and consultations to students, faculty, staff, and parents. Information shared with CCS counselors is confidential. CCS offers medication management though a contracted psychiatrist as well as substance abuse assessments.

What will my counseling cost?

Individual, group, and couples counseling, outreach, and consultation are services that are free of charge to currently enrolled students. Students are charged a fee for mandated assessment from Student Affairs and psychiatric services.

What are some common reasons students seek counseling?

Students seek counseling for a variety of reasons including relationship concerns, adjustment to college life, grief and loss, depression, anxiety, eating and body image concerns, sexual and gender identity concerns, stress management, and substance abuse assessment.

What are the hours for Counseling and Consultation Services?

Our business hours are:

  • Monday, 8:00 AM–5:00 PM
  • Tuesday, 8:00 AM–6:00 PM
  • Wednesday, 8:00 AM–6:00 PM
  • Thursday, 8:00 AM–5:00 PM
  • Friday, 8:00 AM–4:00 PM

Where is the Counseling and Consultation Services office located?

CCS is located in the Health and Recreation Complex, Room 120, adjacent to BU Health Services.

Butler Campus Store

Visit the Butler Campus Store online.

How can I find out what course materials I will need for my classes?

Log in to Canvas, click Follett Discover, and click purchase. You can also go to the Butler Campus Store online and select your term/course/section. The following page will show what items you need along with the available purchase/rental options. You can purchase/rent from this website. 

When should I purchase or rent textbooks for the fall semester?

We recommend ordering early and shipping to your home.

What can I charge to my Student Account?

Students may charge course materials, supplies, technology, and health and beauty supplies to their Student Accounts. Student Accounts are available for use in the store and online.

Butler University Police Department (BUPD)

Visit BUPD online.

How do I contact the Butler University Police Department?

You can contact the University Police Dispatch directly by dialing 317-940-BUPD (2873). This is our non-emergency number. We recommend all students add this number to their phones and have it on speed dial. We also have an emergency number, 317-940-9999.

Does Butler University have a safety escort service for students?

Yes, the University Police Department has a safety escort service for students, faculty, and staff from dusk until dawn, seven days a week within the campus and adjacent streets. Due to COVID-19, an officer will walk with you to your destination rather than providing a safety escort in a police vehicle.  

The University also has the DawgRide, an ADA compliant vehicle that travels on campus. This is an on-demand service. Download the mobile app TapRide to your smart phone to be able to request a DawgRide. The DawgRide is available Wednesday through Sunday from 7:00 PM–3:00 AM and is limited to campus with specific pick-up and drop-off points.

Do campus police officers have full police powers?

Yes. Butler's police officers do have full police powers and are state certified. Their jurisdiction currently extends beyond the campus property to the city limits of Indianapolis. Officers have the authority to write both campus and Indiana State Traffic citations.

If I get hurt or have a medical emergency on campus, who will help me?

All Butler University police officers are trained by the Red Cross in CPR, AED, and First Aid. They will be the first to respond to your call for help and will contact additional medical personnel as needed.

If I lock my keys in my car or need a jump start, will campus police help me?

Yes. The University Police Department is prepared to assist you with unlocking or jump starting your vehicle.

Does Butler University have 24-hour police service?

Yes. The Butler campus is staffed 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year by commissioned police officers with full police powers.