About Butler Theatre
Our Mission Statement
We prepare students to develop their individual voice and to integrate their comprehensive theatre training into purposeful lives. We value an inclusive and welcoming environment with a diverse range of artists, traditions, ideas, and audiences.
Our Core Values
- Professionalism: Collaborating with diligence, skill, integrity, and artistry.
- Inclusivity: Engaging diverse artists, students, audiences, and community partners in a meaningful exchange.
- Creativity: Exploring innovative and effective ways to present theatre.
Butler’s Department of Theatre is known nationally for launching artists who transform theatre and community.
Our Student Learning Objectives (SLOs)
- Demonstrate proficiency in theatre processes including play analysis, performance, technologies, design, and directing.
- Demonstrate the ability to apply theatre processes in production.
- Demonstrate an understanding of theatre in relationship to its historical and contemporary contexts, as well as its historical and contemporaneous relationship to other art forms.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the collaborative nature of theatre.
- Demonstrate ability to assess quality in works of theatre.