The IT Help Desk provides a single point of contact for the technology needs of Butler students, faculty, staff, and affiliates. The Help Desk provides self service, phone, email, and walk-in support for a variety of technology services. The Help Desk does not support faculty or staff personal or home computers. For a listing of services provided, please visit the IT Service Catalog.
Butler IT utilizes ask.butler.edu to provide self-help information 24x7 via the knowledge base and to manage cases (requests). For common requests, users will complete a form that will allow IT to fulfill the request effeciently; for other requests, users will complete a general form.
Contact the Help Desk
- Online: At ask.butler.edu (self-service knowledge base, chat, submit and manage cases), search for information; if you don't find what you need, submit a case for Information Technology.
- Phone: 317-940-HELP (4357) - Note: the Help Desk aims to provide excellent service to each and every user. This can cause phone hold times to be lengthy. Utilizing self-service at ask.butler.edu for non-urgent requests/issues will prevent users from having to wait in queue on the phone.
- In-Person: Visit the IT Help Desk in person in the Holcomb Building Room 350 (Google map; Campus map) during open hours.
Help Desk Hours
- Monday–Friday: 7:30 AM–5:00 PM
- Saturday and Sunday: Closed
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day: Closed
- Memorial Day: Closed
- Fourth of July: Closed
- August - Annual Faculty Staff Picnic (Friday before Welcome Weekend): Closed from 11:30 a.m. –1:00 p.m.
- Welcome Weekend, Saturday: 1:00-4:00 p.m.
- Labor Day: Closed
- November 22: Closed from 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- November - Thanksgiving Week, Wed-Fri: Closed
- December: IT Holiday Party: Friday, December 17: Closed from 11:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Dec 24–Jan 1: Closed (submit a case for Information Technology via ask.butler.edu; if an emergency, use the emergency line below)
Help Desk After Hours Emergency Line
During the hours the Help Desk is not open, users can get assistance for critical, timely situations via the after hours technology emergency line. A technology emergency is classifed as a problem that impedes critical university functions/business or as a wide-scale service interruption that affects multiple people (e.g., Canvas being unavailable).
Though all of our client’s issues are important to us and we do our best to resolve them as quickly and efficiently as possible, only technology emergencies as defined above can be addressed via the after hours emergency line. Routine issuess that come in after hours will be handled the following business day. Some examples of routine issues:
- A single individual is unable to access an IT-provided service, but the service is available to all other clients.
- A single individual is experiencing problems with his or her computer; critical University-related business is not affected.
To Access The After Hours Emergency Line:
- Call 317-940-HELP (4357).
- Follow the phone prompts to leave a voicemail message for the Help Desk Staff on the emergency line. Please be sure to leave a clear message with your name, phone number, and detailed description of the issue.
- Once a voicemail message has been left, the Help Desk Staff will be notified. A technician will contact you via phone (usually within 30 minutes). If other IT staff members need to be involved, the Help Desk will contact the appropriate resources.
- Please note: if the issue is affecting mutliple users, designate one user to call the emergency line. Having multiple users call for the same issue will result in slower service.
Routine system maintenance is scheduled between midnight Saturday night and noon on Sunday. For more information, visit the System Alerts and Maintenance page.
Classroom Technology Support
Immediate support for classroom technology is available by pressing the "Push for Priority Tech Assistance" button from any Butler classroom telephone or by calling 317-940-HELP (4357) and selecting option 1 when prompted. Immediate classroom technology support is available on the following schedule:
Fall/Spring Semester Hours
- Monday–Thursday: 7:30 AM–8:00 PM
- Friday: 7:30 AM–5:00 PM
- Saturday: 7:30 AM–3:00 PM
- Sunday: Closed
- Monday–Thursday: 7:30 AM–5:00 PM