The Help Desk provides a single point of contact for the technology needs of Butler students, faculty, and staff. The Help Desk provides phone, email, and walk-in support for a variety of technology services. The Help Desk does not support faculty or staff personal or home computers.
For all services provided by the Help Desk, please visit the Service Catalog.
The Help Desk aims to provide excellent service to each and every user. This can cause hold times on the phone to be lengthy. Using self service or email for non urgent requests and issues will prevent users from having to wait on the phone.
Contact the Help Desk
- Submit and view service requests online: http://itrequest.butler.edu
- Phone: 317-940-HELP (4357)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Walk-in: Holcomb Building 315 (map)
Take a look at our Technology Assistance flyer for more information on the best way to contact the Help Desk with questions, immediate needs, after hours issues, and requests for technology assistance in mediated spaces.
Self Service via Salesforce
Beginning June 1, 2016, Butler IT will utilize Salesforce to manage tickets (requests), now called cases, at itrequest.butler.edu. Butler users can submit cases, update existing cases, and view both old and new cases alike. For common requests, users will complete a form that will allow IT to fulfill the request effeciently; for other requests, users will complete a general form. Self service is the preferred method of engagement for common requests and for issues that aren't urgent.
Summer 2016 Regular Hours (effective Monday, May 2 - Tuesday, August 23)
- Monday - Friday: 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Routine maintenance is limited to Sundays between 12 a.m. and 12 p.m. For more information, visit the System Alerts and Maintenance page.
Help Desk After Hours Emergency Line
During the hours the Help Desk is not open, users can get assistance for critical, timely situations via the after hours technology emergency line. This service is designed and meant for wide-scale outages or for work that is critical to the University and requires timely assistance.
There are two types of problems that would be classified as an after hours technology emergency:
- Large, wide-scale service interruptions for IT services that affect multiple people. For example, BUmail is unavailable for many people
- Problems that affect critical University-related business. This type of problem may only affect a single individual, but the work that person is doing is critical to the University and requires timely support.
Though all of our client’s issues are important to us and we do our best to resolve them as quickly and efficiently as possible, only technology emergencies as defined above can be addressed by the the Help Desk After Hours Emergency Line.
Routine calls that come in after hours will be handled the following business day. Some examples of routine calls:
- A single individual is unable to access an IT-provided service, but the service is available to all other clients.
- A single individual is experiencing problems with his or her computer that does not involve critical University-related business.
- A single individual needs a password reset; critical University-related business is not affected.
To Access The After Hours Emergency Line:
- Call 317-940-HELP (4357).
- Follow the phone prompts to leave a message on the After Hours Emergency Line for the Help Desk Staff. Please be sure to leave a clear message with your name, phone number, and detailed description of the issue.
- Once a message has been left, the Help Desk Staff will be notified that a message has been left.
- If your issue meets the criteria above, a technician will contact you via phone (usually within 60 minutes).