The Help Desk provides a single point of contact for the technology needs of Butler students, faculty, and staff. The Help Desk provides self service, phone, email, and walk-in support for a variety of technology services. The Help Desk does not support faculty or staff personal or home computers.
For all services provided by the Help Desk, please visit the Service Catalog.
The Help Desk aims to provide excellent service to each and every user. This can cause hold times on the phone to be lengthy. Using self service or email for non urgent requests and issues will prevent users from having to wait on the phone.
Contact the Help Desk
- Self service portal: http://itrequest.butler.edu (submit new cases, update existing cases)
- Phone: 317-940-HELP (4357)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please note: users can initiate a case by sending an email to email@example.com; however, any additional correspondence regarding that specific case should be done by replying to emails regarding that specific case, or by logging into the self service portal, itrequest.butler.edu. Sending additional new emails to firstname.lastname@example.org regarding an existing case will result in a new case being generated (i.e., a duplicate).
- Walk-in: Holcomb Building 315 (map)
Take a look at our Technology Assistance flyer for more information on the best way to contact the Help Desk with questions, immediate needs, after hours issues, and requests for technology assistance in mediated spaces.
Self Service via Salesforce
Butler IT utilizes Salesforce to manage cases (requests)at itrequest.butler.edu. Butler users can submit cases, update existing cases, and access self-help information via the knowledgebase. For common requests, users will complete a form that will allow IT to fulfill the request effeciently; for other requests, users will complete a general form.
To submit a case:
- Go to itrequest.butler.edu.
- Click on the Login button.
- Login with your Butler username and password.
- Click on the blue button that best represents your request.
- Complete the form and click Submit.
- Your case will be assigned a number and you will then be able to track your case via the portal.
- Monday - Friday: 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Saturday and Sunday: Closed
- Tuesday, December 19: Closed from 11:30am-2:30pm
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day: Closed
- Memorial Day: Closed
- Fourth of July: Closed
- Annual Faculty Staff Picnic, August: Closed from 12pm-1pm
- Labor Day: Closed
- Day Before Thanksgiving: Close at Noon
- Thanksgiving Day: Closed
- Black Friday: Closed
- Dec 25-Jan 1: Closed
Routine maintenance is limited to Sundays between 12 a.m. and 12 p.m. For more information, visit the System Alerts and Maintenance page.
Help Desk After Hours Emergency Line
During the hours the Help Desk is not open, users can get assistance for critical, timely situations via the after hours technology emergency line. This service is designed and meant for wide-scale outages or for work that is critical to the University and requires timely assistance.
There are two types of problems that would be classified as an after hours technology emergency:
- Large, wide-scale service interruptions for IT services that affect multiple people. For example, BUmail is unavailable for many people
- Problems that affect critical University-related business. This type of problem may only affect a single individual, but the work that person is doing is critical to the University and requires timely support.
Though all of our client’s issues are important to us and we do our best to resolve them as quickly and efficiently as possible, only technology emergencies as defined above can be addressed by the the Help Desk After Hours Emergency Line.
Routine calls that come in after hours will be handled the following business day. Some examples of routine calls:
- A single individual is unable to access an IT-provided service, but the service is available to all other clients.
- A single individual is experiencing problems with his or her computer that does not involve critical University-related business.
- A single individual needs a password reset; critical University-related business is not affected.
To Access The After Hours Emergency Line:
- Call 317-940-HELP (4357).
- Follow the phone prompts to leave a message on the After Hours Emergency Line for the Help Desk Staff. Please be sure to leave a clear message with your name, phone number, and detailed description of the issue.
- Once a message has been left, the Help Desk Staff will be notified that a message has been left.
- If your issue meets the criteria above, a technician will contact you via phone (usually within 60 minutes).