Employees are eligible to retire at age 55 with 15 years of service. There is no mandatory retirement age. If the retiree is Medicare eligible at the time of retirement, they may participate in the Medicare supplemental plan (medical/prescription/dental) offered through a University-selected third-party administrator. Employees who retire prior to the age of 65 are not eligible for Medicare enrollment and they will receive information regarding COBRA coverage, healthcare coverage through the Healthcare Marketplace or coverage through private healthcare exchanges.
Retired staff members are entitled to a continuation of various benefits at the University.
- Tuition remission benefits at Butler University as outlined in the Tuition Remission Policy
- Participation in college activities
- Use of the University’s facilities and services such as the library
- Opportunity to pay for a membership to the Health and Recreation Complex (HRC)
- University ID card and discounts associated with the use of the card
- Use of special equipment and room space to the extent of availability
- Social Security Administration
- Department of Labor Retirement Toolkit (PDF)
- TIAA CREF Retirement Advice
- Healthcare Marketplace