Student Health Insurance
Questions specifically about the student health insurance waiver process and/or health insurance billing/claims should be directed to: 317-940-6066 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University requires students to have health insurance?
It has been a long-standing policy of the University to require that students possess health insurance. This policy protects a family's investment should unexpected medical issues arise. We also know that people seek health care at earlier stages when they have insurance. Early assessment and treatment is particularly important to help curb the sharing of illnesses in a highly residential, close living environment such as our campus.
- Full-time, degree-seeking undergraduates are required to possess health insurance comparable to the University sponsored plan.
- Graduate students with 6 credits or more are eligible for the Butler sponsored insurance and must participate in the annual online waiver process.
- International undergraduates will be automatically enrolled in the University sponsored plan (with the exception of those participating in ISEP).
- If you are covered by an insurance plan with your family, you can WAIVE the Butler University Sponsored Plan.
How can I waive or enroll in the Butler sponsored plan?
We collect health insurance information annually for all new and returning undergraduates and graduate students with 6 or more credits. Starting in May, instructions and reminders are sent via students' University e-mail accounts. If students have existing health insurance one simply enters the information and the process is completed. If students want to voluntarily enroll in the University sponsored program one may do so at that time with the annual charge appearing on the student's University billing statement.
Students who take no action will be automatically enrolled in and billed for the University sponsored plan. Even after the charge has been posted, but before established deadlines, the charge may be removed by visiting the waiver web site. Once a waiver is submitted, it can take a week for the charge to be removed from one's account.
During the waiver period, students may access the waiver site to complete and submit a Waiver Request or to voluntarily enroll in the plan.
International undergraduates will be automatically enrolled in the University sponsored plan (with the exception of those participating in ISEP).
Things to Consider before you Waive the Insurance
- If you have an HMO, POS, out of state sponsored plan it may not provide comparable coverage to the Butler sponsored plan or cover a student’s medical services while in attendance in Indiana. You are encouraged to investigate this with you carrier.
- If you have a Medicaid, Marketplace and/or government sponsored plan it may not provide comparable coverage to the Butler sponsored plan or cover a student’s medical services while in attendance in Indiana. You are encouraged to investigate this with you carrier
- Ensure your insurance plan will cover services provided by Butler Health Services (NPI: 1447499157) medical staff. Dr. Maria V. Fletcher MD, FAAFP (NPI 1982688024) is our full time, board certified family physician. Hospital options include St. Vincent, Community and IU Health
What are the details of the Butler sponsored plan?
If you have used the plan in the past there are no significant changes from last year. The sponsored policy is with United Healthcare and provides our students access to a wide national network of providers and facilities when care is necessary outside of the plan requirements.
With this plan Butler University Health Services (BUHS) is your primary care provider and is responsible for the primary oversight of your care. Under this policy, when students utilize BUHS on campus, the co-pay and deductible are waived and covered services such as physician visits, in-house lab tests, medications and immunizations are generally covered at 100%. Students find this to be a very convenient and cost efficient way to meet their health care needs while attending Butler University. Any necessary specialty care is coordinated with the assistance of BUHS.
Students covered by the Butler sponsored plan must use the services of BUHS first where treatment will be administered or referral issued. Expenses incurred for medical treatment rendered outside of BUHS for which no prior approval or referral is obtained are excluded from coverage. A referral issued by BUHS must accompany the claim when submitted.
A BUHS referral for outside care is not necessary under the following conditions:
- Medical emergency (The student must return to BUHS for necessary follow-up care.)
- When BUHS is closed.
- When service is rendered at another facility during University break or vacation periods.
- Medical care received when the student is more than 50 miles from campus.
- Medical care obtained when a student is no longer able to use BUHS due to a change in student status.
- Maternity, obstetrical, and gynecological care. (see brochure for details)
- Mental illness treatment and substance use disorder treatment. (see brochure for details)
Dependents are not eligible to use BUHS, and therefore are exempt from the above limitations and requirements.
2019-2020 Timelines and Deadlines
|June 1||Online waiver process begins.|
|August 1||Deadline to turn in your Physical Exam (PE), Immunizations, Online Questionnaires and Insurance Waiver to avoid late charges going on your E-Bill.|
|January 1||New Students Deadline to turn in your Physical Exam (PE), Immunizations, Online Questionnaires and Insurance Waiver to avoid late charges going on your E-Bill.|
|January 16||Enrollment for spring semester new students call 317-940-6066 or email email@example.com|
|January 31||Initial deadline for Spring/Summer enrollment|
Students and families seeking assistance with claims occurring in the 2018-2019 policy year may contact us: 317-940-6066 or firstname.lastname@example.org.