Skip to main content

Error message

  • Notice: Undefined index: bundle in fieldable_panels_panes_load_from_subtype() (line 995 of /var/www/html/sites/all/modules/contrib/fieldable_panels_panes/fieldable_panels_panes.module).
  • Notice: Undefined index: bundle in fieldable_panels_panes_load_from_subtype() (line 995 of /var/www/html/sites/all/modules/contrib/fieldable_panels_panes/fieldable_panels_panes.module).
Student Disability Services, Book titles such as what matters in college, on course, the rise of the creative
Student Disability Services

FAQs for Interested Students

Below are some frequently asked questions regarding Student Disability Services (SDS). If you have additional questions, please contact us at

How do I report a disability?

If you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation, you must report your disability directly to Student Disability Services (SDS). Accommodation requests cannot be considered until the student has submitted the appropriate documentation to SDS and has engaged in an interactive discussion with the appropriate SDS staff member.  Please contact SDS at 317-940-9308 or at for an individualized, confidential discussion regarding your specific situation.

When should I report the disability?

Early disclosure of a disability has been found to be a positive indicator for academic success. Thus, the disability is best disclosed immediately after acceptance to the University. Additionally, early disclosure allows sufficient time to develop modifications if they are found to be needed.

Where is the Student Disability Services office located?

The Student Disability Services office is located in Jordan Hall, Room 136.  To schedule an appointment, please call 317-940-9308 or email

Who typically receives support through Student Disability Services?

The University facilitates assistance for individuals with a variety of disabilities, including, but not limited to students with:

  • hearing loss
  • visual impairment
  • learning disabilities
  • chronic medical conditions
  • attention deficit disorder
  • mobility impairments
  • psychiatric/emotional disabilities

What must I do to establish eligibility for support?

Generally, students are asked to submit written documentation based on an evaluation by an appropriate licensed professional. The documentation is reviewed by Student Disability Services and, if found to be warranted, a reasonable plan of assistance will be developed.  For more information on appropriate documentation, see our Documentation Guidelines.

What kinds of support are available?

Support services are individualized and developed on a case-by-case basis. Specific adjustments are determined by academic history and the diagnostic data reported in the written documentation. Services might include, but are not limited to:

  • access to speech recognition software systems
  • assistance with note taking
  • assistance with text in alternative format
  • alternative test arrangements
  • extended time on examinations
  • assistance with self-advocacy
  • individual and group support services
  • assistive technology support
  • course substitutions
  • relocation of class to an accessible site, if needed

(Support services do not include services/equipment of a personal nature.)