Skip to main content
Welcome Week
Welcome Week


General Welcome Week Questions

What do I eat during Welcome Week?

Meals during Welcome Week are planned and provided as a part of Welcome Week programming. These will begin with brunch on Sunday, August 25. Please consult your Welcome Week schedule as the times and locations for those meals will be provided. You must bring your Student ID to all meals.

How much does Welcome Week cost for new students?

To cover a portion of the cost of Welcome Week, all new first-year students are charged a one-time fee of $165 and all new transfer students are charged a one-time fee of $165. This fee will be charged directly to your student account.

How do I add carpet to my residence hall room?

Carpet One Floor & Home will be on campus during Move-In Day with carpet remnants for purchase. The carpet truck will be located on the corner of W. Hampton Drive and Clarendon Road.

Check out this Carpet One Flyer for more information!

*Please note that this service is provided by a third party that is not sponsored by Butler University.

Is Welcome Week a requirement for all students?

Yes! Welcome Week is a crucial part of the transition period to college life and navigating Butler, so it is important for all new students to participate.

Residential Students will start Welcome Week Saturday night at their Residential Hall meetings.

Commuter Students will start Welcome Week Sunday morning at 10:00 AM.

What online information should I reference before coming to campus?

You are off to a great start by visiting the Welcome Week Orientation website! However, a great place to reference information is the Butler Bulletins sent via email frequently. Also, your Butler Email and the Butler App provide insightful tips and help to your email address for navigating college life.

How do I access the Butler App?

The Butler App is available for download on both Apple and Android phones. To access this efficiently, use your Butler log-in and password. This app will update constantly and can offer information regarding schedules and services.

Should I activate my Butler email before coming to campus?

Yes! The Butler ( email is a great way to get started communicating with peers, staff, faculty and more. This will also be used frequently to distribute important information regarding your move-in time slot/information, personalized welcome week schedule, and more.

Where do I find my Welcome Week schedule?

Each student has a personalized Welcome Week schedule created with specific time and location details. This contains not only your Orientation group, but a timeline of events for the days leading up to the start of classes. You can pick this information up when checking into campus for orientation.

Getting Involved

How do I join Marching Band, Color Guard or a Music Ensemble?

If you would like to join the Marching Band, Basketball Band, or Color Guard, contact Matthew Smith at or 317-940-9876. More information can be found on the athletic bands website.

If you would like to participate in concert band, orchestra, University Choir, or jazz ensembles, view ensemble audition information.

  • If you would like to participate in University Choir, attend the first rehearsal on Wednesday, August 28, from 12:30–1:50 PM in Lilly Hall 124, or contact John Perkins at University choir meets Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 12:30–1:50 PM in Lilly Hall 124. Voice hearings will take place in the afternoon/evening on Tuesday, August 27.
  • Any further questions about the Wind Ensemble can be answered by Michael Colburn at
  • For the Butler Symphony Orchestra, contact Richard Clark at

How can I get involved on campus?

The first opportunity to learn more about the many involvement opportunities is through the Student Involvement Fair: Block Party on Hampton Drive. Representatives from the over 130 student organizations will be there to give you information. Finally, many student organizations will have "call-out" meetings or interest sessions in the first few weeks of school. Keep your eye on your Butler Email for announcements.

How can I get involved with community service?

Visit the Volunteer Center in Atherton Union, Room 100. The student staff members are here to connect you to our community. Also look for the Volunteer Opportunities Fair during the first few weeks of the semester. Meet with representatives from local service agencies and find ways to support their organizations.

Where can I find student employment?

For on-campus employment information, go to the Career and Professional Success (CaPS) site here: Student Employment at Butler. You can also log into Butler's online job search portal, Handshake, to search for specific jobs. Every year, CaPS hosts the "Get Hired!" job fair, with on- and off-campus job opportunities. This year's fair will take place on Thursday, August 29 from 3:00–4:30 PM, location TBD. For questions, contact the CaPS office at, or visit the office in the new Lacy Building, Room 102 on the first floor. Questions? Contact the Student Employment Coordinator Alyssa Laskowski at

Butler Campus Store

Visit the Butler Bookstore online.

How can I find out what course materials I will need for my classes?

Log in to Canvas, click Follett Discover, and click purchase. You can also go to the Butler Campus Store online and select your term/course/section. The following page will show what items you need along with the available purchase/rental options. You can purchase/rent from this website. You can choose to have your order shipped or select in-store pickup.

Can I rent textbooks at the Butler Campus Store?

Yes, we have many titles available for rent. You can highlight and write in the book; normal wear and tear is anticipated. At the end of the semester you check your rental books in at the bookstore. You have the option of converting your rental into a purchase at any time during the rental period. You can also purchase new, used, and digital textbooks.

When can I bring my books in to sell back to the bookstore?

We buy back books every day. The best time to sell your books back is during finals week.

What can I charge to my Student Account?

Students may charge course materials, supplies, technology, and health and beauty supplies to their Student Accounts.

Butler University Police Department (BUPD)

Visit BUPD online.

How do I contact the Butler University Police Department?

You can contact the University Police Dispatch directly by dialing 317-940-BUPD (2837). This is our non-emergency number. We recommend all students add this number to their phones and have it on speed dial. We also have an emergency number, 317-940-9999.

Does Butler University have a safety escort service for students?

Yes, the University Police Department has a safety escort service for students, faculty, and staff from dusk until dawn, seven days a week within the campus and adjacent streets. This safety escort may be in a police vehicle, or the officer may walk with you to your destination.

The University also has the DawgRide, an ADA compliant vehicle that travels on campus. This is an on-demand service. Download the mobile app TapRide to your smart phone to be able to request a DawgRide. The DawgRide is available Wednesday through Sunday from 7:00 PM–3:00 AM and is limited to campus with specific pick-up and drop-off points.

Do campus police officers have full police powers?

Yes. Butler's police officers do have full police powers and are state certified. Their jurisdiction currently extends beyond the campus property to the city limits of Indianapolis. Officers have the authority to write both campus and Indiana State Traffic citations.

If I get hurt or have a medical emergency on campus, who will help me?

All Butler University police officers are trained by the Red Cross in CPR, AED, and First Aid. They will be the first to respond to your call for help and will contact additional medical personnel as needed.

If I lock my keys in my car or need a jump start, will campus police help me?

Yes. The University Police Department is prepared to assist you with unlocking or jump starting your vehicle.

Does Butler University have 24-hour police service?

Yes. The Butler campus is staffed 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year by commissioned police officers with full police powers.

Counseling and Consultation Services (CCS)

Visit Counseling and Consultation Services online.

What is counseling?

Counseling is a collaborative process between a student and a trained professional aimed at helping the student identify concerns, develop alternatives, and gain an increased understanding of themselves and others.

What kinds of services does the Counseling and Consultation Services office provide?

CCS provides individual, couples, and group counseling to currently enrolled students. We also offer educational outreach programs and consultations to students, faculty, staff, and parents. Information shared with CCS counselors is confidential. CCS offers medication management though a contracted psychiatrist as well as substance abuse assessments.

What will my counseling cost?

Individual, group, and couples counseling, outreach, and consultation are services that are free of charge to currently enrolled students. Students are charged a fee for mandated assessment from Student Affairs and psychiatric services.

What are some common reasons students seek counseling?

Students seek counseling for a variety of reasons including relationship concerns, adjustment to college life, grief and loss, depression, anxiety, eating and body image concerns, sexual and gender identity concerns, stress management, and substance abuse assessment.

What are the hours for Counseling and Consultation Services?

Our business hours are:

  • Monday, 8:00 AM–5:00 PM
  • Tuesday, 8:00 AM–6:00 PM
  • Wednesday, 8:00 AM–6:00 PM
  • Thursday, 8:00 AM–5:00 PM
  • Friday, 8:00 AM–4:00 PM

Where is the Counseling and Consultation Services office located?

CCS is located in the Health and Recreation Complex, Room 120, adjacent to BU Health Services.

Dining Services

Visit Butler Dining Services online.

How do I know if there is a food service update or special event?

Food service updates and special events can be found on Instagram @bonappetitbutler or at

What are your different dining locations?

Marketplace @ Atherton Union

Monday - Friday: 7:00 AM–8:00 PM, Continuous dining will offer a limited menu and continental service 10:00-11:00 AM and 2:00pm-4:30 PM

Saturday- Sunday: 10:00 AM–8:00 PM, Brunch served from 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM, continuous dining will offer a limited menu and continental service frrom 2:00-4:30 PM

At the Marketplace Dining Hall at Atherton Union you will enjoy a dynamic all-you-care-to-eat dining experience infused with the energy and excitement of a retail experience. Live action station concepts will emphasize locally sourced Indiana ingredients prepared with a global outlook. Bon Appétit’s culinary standards ensure everything is cooked from scratch in house and prepared in small batches to ensure the highest quality.


Lunch Daily 11:00 AM - 2:30 PM

Dinner Daily 4:30 - 8:00 PM

Open 8:00 PM - 12:00 AM daily with a limited menu 

ResCo will undergo another transformation in the summer of 2020, but until then, it will operate as a retail café. This allows students and faculty to create their own meal from our four uniquely designed stations. We will house locally sourced burgers and chicken and grill them to perfection. This café is all about showing off our sustainable souricng while uniquely capturing the essence of the college food experience. This café will pull from traditional recipes to give a taste of home to each college student.

Plum Market Kitchen at C-Club 

(Coming Soon - Late October 2019)

Another exciting transformation coming to Atherton's lower level. Plum Market Kitchens at C-Club will be a new market for students to get creative, fresh selections of on-trend foods and can't-live-without sundries. With a focus on the very best selections of natural, organic, local, and specialty items, Plum will provide a full-service shopping experience. Scheduled to be available to studnets in late October. 

Business Building Coffee Café

Monday–Friday: 7:00 AM–5:00 PM

The new business building that houses the Lacy School of Business, now holds a sleek new coffee spot, featuring local Julian Roasters coffee, Illinois Street Food Emporium pastries, and breakfast sandwiches made fresh and ready to order. This café will capture the entrepreneurial spirit while promoting local successful businesses. You get tto channel YOUR inner enrepreneurial spirit and name this café. Help us name this spot as it is sure to be your new favorite. Look for details in the first few weeks of school on our Instagram page or stop by the café to learn more.

Nutrition Café at the HRC

Monday - Friday: 10:00 AM - 8:00 PM

Saturday - Sunday: 11:00 AM - 6:00 PM 

The nutrition café at the Health and Recreation Center serves to get you prepared for your day, workout or routine and is also there to help you recover from whatever the day holds. Use this place as a place to gather, meet, or quickly grab something on your way to class. 


Monday–Thursday: 7:00 AM–midnight

Friday: 7:00 AM–10:00 PM

Saturday: 8:00 AM–10:00 PM

Sunday: 8:00 AM–midnight

A full-service Starbucks is located in Atherton Union adjacent to the bookstore.

What are my convenience store options?

Tripp's Corner Market @ Apartment Village is open Sunday–Saturday, 10:00 AM–10:00 PM. The Corner Market is loaded with fun and different local products that we prepare in the café daily. Planning a meal in your apartment or residence hall room? Guest for got their toothbrush? Come grab all you need at the Tripp's Corner Market. 

I have a food allergy. What can I eat?

We start with cooking food in its rawest form, from scratch, we are able to label create dishes to satisfy almost any pallet or allergen. We have well trained chefs and dieticians that are ready to help, as well as a set of easy to read icons on our menus that help our guests navigate our food program. This ensures that you will be able to make confident food choices. If you have specific dietary needs or would like to discuss this directly please contact Resident Dietitian Katy Maher at or stop by Katy's office in the Marketplace @ Atherton Union, Room 112R - right off the café.

If I forget/lose my student ID, can I have lunch anyway?

If you have forgotten your ID, you will need to go back and retrieve it. If you have lost your ID, please go to University Police to get a new one.

May I use my ID to pay for both myself and my friend for a meal?

Yes! Depending on the type of meal plan you have there are a set amount of guest meals. Please see the bullet points below:

  • Block 300 and Block 250 meal plan holders have the ability to use 40 of their block meals as a Flex Meal (which would be a Meal Option in retail locations) or as a Guest Meal.
  • Block 115 meal plan holders have the ability to use 60 of their block meals as a Flex Meal (which would be a Meal Option in retail locations) or as a Guest Meal.
  • Block 50 meal plan holders have the ability to use 40 of their block meals as a Flex Meal (which would be a Meal Option in retail locations) or as a Guest Meal.
  • Block 25 meal plan holders have the ability to use 20 of their block meals as a Flex Meal (which would be a Meal Option in retail locations) or as a Guest Meal.

Flex Dollars FYI

Flex Dollars can be used in the Atherton Marketplace, Starbucks, Plum Market, Convenience Store, HRC, and ResCo. Students may dine, purchase items to go, or just grab a cup of coffee. Unspent Flex Dollars DO NOT rollover from Semester to Semester. Flex Dollars are not refundable.

How do I add Dawg Bucks?

To find out more information about how to add Dawg Bucks to your account stop by Butler Dining office 043.

How do I view the daily menu?

Daily menus are available at

Financial Aid

Visit Financial Aid online.

When will my financial aid appear on my bill?

Financial aid will be credited to the student account after confirmation of enrollment for the semester on the fifth day of class. You are encouraged to compare your Statement of Student Account and Financial Aid Notification on My.Butler for accuracy.

What do I need to do for my student loans?

Students who complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) are eligible for Federal Direct Loans. You must accept your loans on your My.Butler account and complete the "Loan Agreement for a Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loan (MPN)" and "Entrance Counseling" at

What do I do with my outside scholarship check?

Please send your outside scholarship check to the Office of Financial Aid so it is credited to your student account properly. You must report receipt of an outside scholarship through your My.Butler account or by sending a copy of the scholarship letter to the Office of Financial Aid.

I still have a balance on my account, what can I do?

Butler University offers a wide range of programs to help families pay for educational expenses. These programs include a convenient payment plan, the Federal Direct PLUS Loan, or private education loans. Information about these programs is available online or by contacting the Office of Financial Aid at 877-940-8200.

Health Services

Visit Health Services online.

What is the range of healthcare I can receive on campus?

Health Services is located in the Health and Recreation Complex (HRC), Room 110 is available to all students. They provide acute (sick) care, on site labwork and a variety of preventive (well) health services. Health Services has physicians, nurse practitioners, and registered nurses on staff to provide complete medical care. Our medical providers are prepared to serve as your doctor when you are away from home. Health Services will be your partner in supporting your health while you are a student at Butler University. Click to review a summary of services provided.

If issues are beyond our scope of care, we assist students with referrals to off-campus providers. Emergencies are coordinated with local hospitals. After hour care is suggested when there is a need/concern that cannot wait until the next day. 

How can I be prepared to take care of my health needs? 

  • Students should have a conversation with their families about what to do when they get sick. 
  • Students should keep their insurance card, any pharmacy card and/or Health Savings Account (HSA) card with them or save a copy on their cell phone. 

What do I do for an illness or if I would like to make an appointment?

Students may call 317-940-9385 for an appointment to be seen by a healthcare professional. Students also can schedule online 24/7 through the secure web portal Appointments help us maximize our clinic time; we will accommodate walk-in visits when possible. Students/patients who "walk in unscheduled" will be triaged by an RN initially to determine the level of care that is necessary to manage the concern(s). If appropriate and the schedule allows, students will be scheduled to see the physician or other recommendations or arrangements will be coordinated. We will make our best effort to stay on schedule, but when emergencies or complications occur, you may have some wait time. We will communicate this and appreciate your patience and flexibility if this should occur.

Do I need health insurance?

Butler University requires all full-time undergraduate students to have health insurance coverage. Health Services accepts most insurance plans. We suggest that you check with your policy for coverage while attending Butler University. Compliance is achieved through an online waiver process where all students must annually waive the University-sponsored policy by providing evidence of comparable insurance to the "university sponsored" plan. Individuals that do not meet the waiver deadlines are automatically enrolled in and billed for the cost of the University-sponsored plan. Students may also actively enroll in this policy during this period.  

When students utilize Health Services, they should bring their health insurance card with them every time. Please refer to the website for further information on health insurance.

Health Service charges can also be paid using your Health Saving Account (HSA) after the visit has been posted to your student account. 

Why do I need to have a health record on file?

It is important for Health Services to be aware of any chronic illness; medications being taken; allergies you might have to medications, foods, or the environment; and immunization records. All of your personal medical information is private, confidential and managed securely like your doctor's office at home. This information aids Health Services staff in providing the best possible, individualized, care and supports Butler in maintaining a healthy community. New student health forms are due by August 1.

Mandatory Health Requirement information can be found on the Health Services New Student Requirements website or students can login to the portal using their Butler ID. Within the Table of Contents, click "Forms Link" and follow the instructions. 


Visit the Center for Faith and Vocation online.

What kind of religious, spiritual, and secular communities are at Butler?

There are many religious, spiritual, and philosophical student groups on Butler’s campus including a wide range of Protestant Christian groups, Butler Catholic Community, Butler Hillel, Butler Muslim Student Association, Butler Meditation Group, and the Secular Student Alliance. All of these CFV Communities can be found on the CFV website.

How can I get involved in a religious, spiritual, or secular community?

The Center for Faith and Vocation supports many student-led communities that welcome new people throughout the year. Each community is listed at the link with student and staff contact information to learn more. Also, during Welcome Week these groups are present at the annual Center for Faith and Vocation (CFV) Ice Cream Social and the all-campus Student Involvement Fair: Block Party where you can sign up for more information.

Does Butler have a religious affiliation?

Butler is unaffiliated, which means it is not connected to any one faith tradition. Instead, Butler helps students connect with their own unique religious, philosophical or spiritual perspectives and does so with respect for diversity and distinctiveness.

Is the Center for Faith and Vocation just for religious students?

Not at all. The CFV is a place for all students—religious, non-religious, questioning, and curious. Everyone can come to explore how they can lead a life of purpose, meaning, and contribution while at Butler and beyond. Furthermore, all students have a voice in interfaith engagement, including atheist, agnostic, spiritual but not religious, or seeker students. Students can plug in through the Butler Seminar on Religion and Global Affairs, the New View Film Series, open forum discussions on current events, meditation practice, paid internships, and one-on-one vocational discussions. The Blue House is available for study and centering space. For more information, please visit the Center for Faith and Vocation website or check out our CFV student blog. Go to our Facebook page, and we are on Twitter @Butler CFV and Instagram @centerforfaithandvocation. To sign up to get the CFV newsletter with all our events, find us at the Resource Fair, visit us at the Blue House during our Ice Cream Social, or find us at the Student Involvement Fair: Block Party!

What does "vocation" mean here at Butler University?

The Center for Faith and Vocation thinks about vocation in the broadest of terms. Though faith may inform one’s vocation, one does not need to adhere to any particular religious or philosophical commitments to seek a life of meaning and purpose. We think college is a great time to explore your values and how to apply those values to the world. Simply put, to explore your vocation at Butler is to pursue how to live a life of meaning, purpose, and contribution. We invite students to do this though one-on-one conversations, values exercises, decision-making practices, paid internship experiences, and more.

Residence Life

Visit Residence Life online.

How will I receive my housing assignment?

Housing assignments will be sent via email.

What will be included in my housing assignment email?

  • Student's building and room information
  • Name of their roommate and/or suitemates (if in ResCo or Irvington). The roommate/suitemates' contact information will also be included to communicate with one another during the summer!

Move-in information will be shared late July/early August. This will include the block of time that a student is scheduled to move-in on Saturday, August 24 between 8:00 AM–5:30 PM. If a student is unable to move in during the 8:00 AM–5:30 PM move in times, they can move in anytime after 6:00 PM on August 24. If a student has a conflict with their assigned move-in time, please contact Residence Life directly to discuss the situation.

Can I mail items to Butler before I arrive?

Please contact Residence Life about the ability to mail items before you arrive to campus.

Where can I find more information about Residence Life?

For more information about Residence Life, check out the Residence Life FAQ.

Study Abroad

Visit Study Abroad Programs online.

Why should I study abroad?

There are many personal and professional reasons to study abroad. Most past participants have said that studying abroad helped them focus their academic and career goals, taught them about living and working with people of different cultures, and even taught them more about themselves. Study abroad provides an opportunity to develop your leadership skills and gain new skills. Studying abroad also enhances your preparation for living in a culturally diverse social environment and working in a global marketplace.

Can I use my financial aid while abroad?

Yes, but there are restrictions on the type of aid you can use while abroad. Regardless of the type of program you choose, you will continue to pay Butler University tuition for the semester you are abroad (instead of the cost of the program listed on their website). Your federal, state, and outside scholarships/grants/loans will continue to apply to all types of programs, as allowed. In regard to your Butler institutional scholarships and grants:

  • If you choose to study on a 3rd Party Provider program, then 50 percent of your Butler financial aid will apply toward the cost of tuition (only for that semester).
  • If you select a reciprocal Exchange through Butler or ISEP, then 100 percent of your Butler financial aid will apply toward the cost of tuition.
  • If you select a semester-long Faculty-Led program (GALA or Butler Semester in Spain), then 100 percent of your Butler financial aid will apply toward the cost of tuition.
  • If you are planning on going abroad on a summer study abroad program, no financial aid can be used. Summer study abroad is just like summer school.

If you have questions as to how a certain type of study abroad program will affect your financial aid for that semester, please reach out to Financial Aid directly.

Who can help me decide whether study abroad is for me?

  • The Center for Global Education's Associate Director for Study Abroad and the Study Abroad Advisor, experienced professionals in the field of international education.
  • Faculty members, many of whom have extensive international experience and advised other students on reasons to take some of your courses in a foreign environment.
  • 3rd Party Provider and university representatives, who can point out the particular features of the programs they offer.
  • Butler students who have returned from study abroad.

Where do I begin my search for a study abroad program?

Please check out our Steps to Study Abroad webpage to see what your steps to study abroad are. There are six important steps, the first of which is to attend a general Study Abroad Information Session.

Do I have to speak another language to study abroad?

No! There are many programs, in English-speaking and non-English speaking destinations alike, that offer courses across all majors of study in English for our students. Students are then able to either take a course in a secondary language or find a program that does not have a language requirement at all (though we recommend taking at least an intro level language course to help you get around your host country).

What majors can study abroad?

Students from every major can study abroad for a full semester. When considering study abroad, particularly for majors that tend to be very rigid in their course plans, it is very important to talk to your academic advisor as soon as possible to create a four-, five-, or six-year plan (depending on your major) to see when your best semester to study abroad is, as well as to discuss what classes you will need to take during that semester to keep you on track. Once you know that information, you can research programs that offer courses in that specific semester to keep you on track.


Visit Information Technology online.

What do I need to know about technology on campus?

Check out the Quick Start for Admitted Students page for information about how to set or change yoru password, access your Butler email, print on campus, access campus wireless, and more!

What do I need to do to prepare my technology before moving to campus?

Check out this Prepare for Move-In Guide from Butler Information Technology. This guide includes information about how to prepare your existing technology before moving to campus, what technology you should bring and leave at home, and how to access discounts on computers and software.

Where do I access information about my classes? 

Butler uses a learning management system to help students access information about their classes. Currently Moodle is the primary learning management system, but there will soon be a transition to Canvas. The transition will begin in summer of 2019 with the target of having all Colleges transitioned by Spring 2020. Implementation will occur in phases with the goal of LAS, COPHS, and JCA delivering courses in Canvas for Fall 2019 and LSB, CCOM and COE delivering courses in Canvas for Spring 2020.

Until the transition is complete, most Butler students will find themselves working in both Moodle and Canvas for one or more semesters. Watch for communication from your instructor to know for sure whether or not your course will be using Canvas. Students typicaly find Canvas an easy system to use. However, those new to using Canvas are encouraged to access and work through the Canvas Student Orientation which consists of short videos and text instruction. Another helpful resource is the Canvas Student Guides for just-in-time help with specific features of Canvas.