MFA Admission & How to Apply
The Application Process
To apply, candidates should submit the following:
- Butler Application
- A writing sample in your intended genre (12 pages of poetry or 30 pages of prose).
- A statement of interest (1–2 pages).
- Two letters of recommendation.
- Official transcripts or copies of official transcripts from all colleges and universities where candidates:
- Earned a degree
- Earned more than 15 credits (undergraduate and graduate)
- Completed any program prerequisite (regardless of number of credit hours)
- Completed courses for which candidates are applying for transfer credit
International applicants must additionally submit the following:
- TOEFL scores or equivalent proof of English proficiency
- A clear copy of your passport
- Evidence of financial support
Note: GRE scores are NOT required.
Copies of official transcripts may be uploaded in the online application for application review only. Applicants who receive an offer of admission will be required at that time to submit official final transcripts issued directly from the institution(s) for verification prior to enrollment. More information is available in the application for admission.
The deadline for Fall 2024 admission is April 15, 2024.
Please direct questions about application materials or the status of your application to the Office of Admission.
Every year, The Butler MFA in Creative Writing matriculates approximately 15 new students, divided roughly equally across our three core genres of fiction, creative nonfiction, and poetry.