How to Prepare for Your Advising Appointment
The following recommendations will help you make the most of the time you have with your academic advisor:
- About four weeks before registration begins for a new semester, continuing students should check their registration appointment time posted on My.Butler.edu.
- Next, use the Registration Steps created by Registration and Records to begin the process of preparing for your academic advising appointment.
- Plan in advance and schedule an advising appointment—the best advising takes place when you and your advisor can have dedicated time to discuss your concerns and plans.
- In advance of your advising appointment, consider the issues and questions you want to address with your advisor, and bring a list to your appointment.
- Use some of your time during your advising appointment to get to know one another. This will help clarify your interests, passions, and goals, as well as enable you to understand how your advisor can assist you in identifying appropriate resources and complementary activities (e.g., internships, study abroad, etc.).
Tools to Help You Prepare
Here are some tools that may be helpful to you as you learn how to navigate the advising and registration process at Butler and prepare for your advising appointments:
- Advising and Registration Checklist
- Advising and Registration Step-by-Step Resource Guide
- College Scheduler To-Do
- Enrollment Worksheet
- Semester-by-Semester Plan
- Student Pre-Registration Worksheet