Butler University recognizes that students with disabilities may require a specific type of housing to fully participate in the residential component of the university experience. For these students, Butler provides reasonable disability-related housing accommodations under the ADA and/or Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act.
Process for Accommodations Requests
- Contact Student Disability Services, located in Jordan Hall 136, to begin the process of registering with the office for accommodations.
- Provide documentation of disability to SDS, and setup an initial meeting with SDS staff to discuss accommodations. Documentation forms must be completed by an evaluator qualified to make the diagnosis and can be found on the SDS website at www.butler.edu/academic-services/disability/forms/. Documentation from family members, even if qualified professionals, cannot be accepted.
- Requests will be reviewed by a committee composed of SDS, Residence Life staff and other relevant staff members as needed. After the committee has met and reviewed requests, Residence Life will notify students about their housing assignments.
* Note: Housing accommodation requests do NOT automatically carry over to subsequent academic years. Students must notify Residence Life EVERY YEAR regarding accommodation needs; this should be done by indicating “Disability Related Accommodations Request” in the online housing contract completed in the student’s My.Butler account each year.
Suggested Deadlines for Housing Accommodation Requests
Students are advised to start the process early and contact SDS about a housing request as soon as the need for an accommodation is known, rather than waiting for the deadlines. It is suggested that a student seeking a housing accommodation complete full registration with SDS, including submitting documentation AND completing an individualized intake meeting with SDS staff, by the deadlines listed below.
Incoming first-year Butler University students and transfer students:
- For fall 2022 semester: Monday, June 27, 2022
All other Butler University students:
- For fall 2022 semester: Friday, March 25, 2022
Although every attempt will be made to honor requests made on short notice, requests made after the deadlines increase the likelihood that necessary space/resources may not be available.
For further information, please contact Student Disability Services in Jordan Hall 136 by phone at 317-940-9308 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.