All the sororities on Butler campus have chefs. Our chefs at my house at Wayne and D. Me and D have a love/hate relationship although if he saw this post he would say there is no love because that’s awkward because he’s our chef. Instead I am going to say a like/hate relationship.
It all started when I decided to give D a little grief about his Asian cuisine skills. Being raised on homemade Asian food my whole life I’m used to my mom’s authentic Asian food. Sometimes I can be a real pain in the butt when it comes to eating others Asian food who are not Asian. The things I am especially picky about are rice and any Japanese food. Chinese food and Korean food I don’t really judge on because I am not a good judge at all!
I’m sure D hates me when I do this. It’s not that his food isn’t amazing because it really is good! Everyone else doesn’t complain, but I just give my little critiques here and there. My mom thinks it’s funny, and she’s starting to realize just how Japanese in food she raised me. I think I am becoming more picky than my mom. There are some foods that I like that not even native Japanese like. For example, I love natto. Natto is fermented soy beans that you eat with rice. It looks disgusting but to me tastes amazing, to other Japanese not so much.
Natto with rice!
Also my mom recently has started to buy instant miso soup. My mom thinks it tastes really good for instant miso soup. I cannot do instant miso soup. I know that may sound like I am super high needs, but miso soup is only good when homemade. I literally think I could eat miso paste, just kidding I have before… That also is probably disgusting for some.
NO NO NO. I hate instant miso.
The point is that I miss authentic Asian food.
In a previous post I mentioned my roommate, Rori, and I are going through a cleanse. Just to give you an idea of what we are doing here is our regime.
Day 1/2: Only drink anything with no artificial sweeteners. We have chosen V8 vegetable juice as well as V8 Fusion.
Day 3/4: For Day 3 only vegetables, day 4 you can add fruits.
Day 5: Anything but meat
Day 6: Back to normal
Yes I realize how crazy this may be, but shockingly I’m OK. This morning I thought I would wake up and right away eat a thousand different vegetables, but instead I actually was not that hungry. Oddly enough I think my body is getting used to my crazy habit this week, which I don’t know if this is good or bad… Either way I know that this is doing exactly what I want it to do which is shrink the size of my stomach!
I will say I have noticed some changes such as my lack of energy as well as just zoning out. This experience has not only shown me the willpower I have (I avoided a nacho bar and dessert bar the other night) but also has shown me how much we rely on food. I don’t know if I will cleanse again, but I will say I definitely have never looked forward to vegetables this much in my life.
Random: I know the Harlem Shake thing is getting kind of old, but seriously I love this video just not the team.
I know I love Butler, but there are a few things that I miss about home that I did not think I would miss!
- Laundry: I never thought I would miss being able to doing laundry whenever and just downstairs in my house. Now this includes quarters, carrying a ton of laundry down three flights of stairs and then up three flights of stairs. It takes so much effort just to do some laundry. On the positive side, I work at Forever 21 so my clothes are pretty much endless for the most part!
All the laundry I need to do
- Mom’s Food: I miss my mom’s food so much. I am half Japanese and my mom cooks authentic Japanese food. I miss rice, and not like Atherton or Resco rice, like my mom’s legit sticky white rice. The one good thing though about Atown and Resco is that I love the salad bar, but still I miss my mom’s food.
- Working: I never thought I would say this, but I actually miss working at my job. I work at Forever 21 but currently I am a seasonal worker. I could still work, but I’m too worried about them overdoing my hours and then not being able to have enough time to do school work. I used to hate working because I was working so much, but now that I’m on a hiatus because of school I miss it!
Oh, clothes. Such a bad & good job all at the same time!
- Mikan: Mikan is my cat’s name. In Japanese it means tangerine, which you can understand as you see the picture! I used to not be a big fan of my cat, but I miss it coming up to me and wanting to be pet, and all that jazz.
It looks like a snake, but my cat likes to sleep in the sink.
- Friends: I miss my really good friends and even my not so good friends! I see a lot of them because I visit a lot, but there’s some that I can’t see because they are too far, so I want to see them soon!
The sad thing about all of this is that I’m only 20 minutes away from home… yeah I’ll stop complaining now. Happy Friday!!!
I’m sorry I couldn’t help myself… this video just makes me laugh oh the 80′s.