The following guidelines will provide information about services and resources that the Office of the Dean of Students, and other campus partners, are able to offer in assistance to students with a temporary disability.
A temporary disability is defined as a transitory impairment with an actual or expected duration of six months or less. Some examples of temporary disabilities addressed by these guidelines include broken extremities, hand injuries, torn ligaments, post-surgical recoveries, concussions, etc. Temporary disabilities do not generally qualify as a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Amendment Act (ADAA); however, severity and duration of the condition will be taken into consideration. Butler University will make every effort to provide assistance to Butler students with temporary disabilities. Determinations about specific support services will be made on a case to case basis in consultation with the individuals on campus noted below.
If you have a temporary disability and need assistance to manage day-to-day activities, contact the Office of the Dean of Students. Please call 317-940-9470 to schedule an appointment.
A discussion with a staff member regarding your particular circumstances can provide insight into the type of services that might be appropriate. The office is located in Atherton Union, Room 311. Steps are required to reach the main door. You may also get to the office by using the Atherton elevator at the south end of the building. We will also meet you at any main floor location.
Temporary disability accommodations are considered on a case by case basis in consultation with the Office of the Dean of Students, Counseling and Consultation Services, Butler Dining, Residence Life, Student Disability Services, and/or Health Services, depending on the nature of the request and as may be deemed necessary by the University.
- If you have to miss class due to temporary disability, contact the Office of the Dean of Students at 317-940-9470 and request a faculty notification be sent. Based on the information you provide, we will alert your instructors to absences or challenges for which you may need assistance. This notification is NOT an excuse. Students are expected to communicate directly with their instructors and to make up missed work. The Dean of Students notification may give some advance warning of this upcoming communication.
- We can explore a temporary relocation of your on-campus residence hall or apartment assignment; if that would help your situation, contact the Office of Residence Life in Atherton Union 303, 317-940-9458.
- If you need close access to University buildings, we will investigate a temporary disabled parking permit (medical documentation will be required). Butler University is not able to transport students with mobility challenges to and from classes or to off-campus appointments. For campus transport, students may need to rely on friends with vehicles or utilize Blue Indy or another car service to get to off-campus appointments.
- If you cannot get to the dining hall a friend may bring meals to your room by taking your ID card and asking for a “to go” box. If you need assistance while in the dining locations, ask a staff member to connect you to the manager on duty for assistance. For general dining questions/assistance, contact Butler Dining.
- If you are living in a Greek house and would like to discuss temporary services, contact your chapter president, house manager, or house corporation president. Sarah Cohen, Director of Fraternity and Sorority Life may also be of assistance, Atherton 310, 317-940-6590.