Living on Campus
- First Year Student Housing
- Returning Student Housing
- Butler Dining
- Irvington House
- Fairview House
- Residential College
- Ross Hall
- Apartment Village
- University Terrace
- Butler Terrace Apartments
- South Campus Apartments
- Commuting to Butler University
- Housing Policies & Procedures
- Housing FAQs
- Residence Life Staff
- Contact Us
- Join Our Team
- Residence Life Calendar
Returning Student Housing
All current Butler University students must set their housing intention and housing and dining contract regardless of whether they plan to live on campus, live in their Greek chapter house, commute, or be away for a semester (study abroad, internship, etc.) by March 20, 2019. The intention form will become available on February 27, 2019. You must complete the intention/contract on time, or you will not be eligible to participate in housing selection.
As a reminder, students are required to live on campus for six semesters in Butler-affiliated housing. This includes semesters spent away on study abroad or off-site internships.
Please take a moment to review the Butler University Residency Policy below.
**Rising sophomores will need to select a Butler Dining-approved plan for the upcoming school year.**
Butler University Residency Policy
Butler’s Residency Policy requires that all full-time first- year, sophomore, junior, International and transfer undergraduate students live in approved University housing (this includes in good standing Greek Chapter houses). Only students who have lived on campus for six semesters during the regular academic year may choose to live off-campus as seniors. The only exceptions to this policy are for those who are a) commuting from and residing full-time in the primary residence of their parents or guardians which is within 30 miles driving distance of campus; or b) married or civilly unified and residing with spouse; or c) are a legal guardian of a child and residing with the child; or d) over 26 years of age at the start of the academic year; or e) are a military Veteran with 2 years of active service .
All campus housing includes both room and dining plans with the exception of University Terrace, Apartment Village, South Campus Apartments and Butler Terrace units. Residents living in these units may purchase a dining plan. Students living in approved housing in their Greek Chapter house are billed for a room and dining plan through the Chapter Housing Corporation or though the Office of Residence Life on behalf of the Chapter. All chapters must offer a dining program of at least 15 meals a week.
The University reserves the right to enforce any restrictions or regulations necessary for the general welfare of residents and/or the maintenance of its property. Under certain conditions, the University may grant requests for special permission for an exception to the Residence Policy. If provided an exception, students are expected to adhere to all federal, state, and local laws as well as the Student Code of Conduct.
You will have the ability to complete the online housing intention and then the housing and dining contract in your my.butler account. When going through your contract, be sure to update your lifestyle preferences to reflect the person you are today.
To find the housing intention/contract through my.butler.edu:
- Self Service Student Homepage
- Select Student Center
- Scroll to the bottom to find Personal Information
- Click the link that says Apply for Housing
- Select the link that says Get Started
If you are going to be on campus for the summertime, please fill out a summer housing application here.
Please be sure to electronically save and/or print a copy of the application for your records.
All students will in the southern most buildings in Apartment Village for the summer.
- Rising sophomores—Likely to live in Fairview House or Residential College. New this year, residents can select rooms in Fairview without needing to fill an entire suite unit.
- Rising juniors—Open houses for our four apartment communities will take place later in February.
- Students affiliated with Greek chapter houses will learn from their Chapter if they will need to live in the chapter house or have the opportunity to be included in housing selection.
- New living/dining furniture available in the fall for all of our apartment units (except Butler Terrace that will remain a “design-your-own-space option” for those students who desire that type of apartment living.) Junior and Senior students who live in the other apartment communities will not need to bring any furniture next year, making it much easier on our students and families.
- Research continues to show that students who live on campus are more engaged and academically successful.
- Commuter Students, your home must be within 30 miles of campus. An application must be filled out, notarized, and certified to confirm this status.