Healthcare & Business Major
The healthcare sector is rapidly evolving. More jobs are being created in healthcare-related industries than any other sector of the US economy. The Healthcare and Business major is an excellent option that allows students to pursue a wide variety of career paths within healthcare focused industries. Following successful completion of this bachelor’s degree, students are well prepared to go directly into the workforce in a variety of areas or into graduate programs.
Helpful suggestions for high school students who are interested in the Healthcare and Business major:
- Take challenging courses during your high school years. Choose being challenged over an “easy A.”
- If your school offers Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) courses, take the standardized exams at the end of those courses. Scores of at least 4 on AP exams, or at least 5 on IB exams, will earn college credit for the respective course at Butler. Specific AP/IB course suggestions for those interested in the Healthcare and Business major include biology, calculus, chemistry, macroeconomics, microeconomics, psychology, and statistics.
- Although not required for admission, consider taking the ACT or SAT. In 2023, approximately 43% of successfully admitted students submitted ACT or SAT scores. The average ACT score of admitted students was 28.47. The average SAT score was 1265/1600.
- Actively participate in the clubs (such as DECA or HOSA), programs, or enrichment opportunities offered by your high school that focus on business or healthcare.
- Admission preference will be given to students who meet the following criteria:
- High school weighted GPA at least 3.0. In 2023, the successful candidate average GPA was 4.03 for students not submitting standardized test scores (range 4.75-3.34), and 4.13 for students submitting standardized test scores (range 4.98-3.45)
- Four years of science and math in high school
- Interesting in learning more? Schedule a visit.
Does your long term goal include a patient care-focused graduate program (such as a medical, dental, physician assistant, physical therapy or optometry program) and you are unsure which undergraduate major to declare? If so, you may find these suggestions helpful in your decision making process.
Students interested in the healthcare and business (HCB) major should meet with an academic advisor in the prior to completing any change of major paperwork. Interested students should contact Ms. Tina Vawter (email@example.com) to schedule an appointment with an academic advisor. During this appointment, discussions will focus on future career goals, your academic journey to date, and factors for success. If after meeting with an advisor a student wishes to change majors, the advisor will help facilitate the appropriate change of major paperwork.
This curriculum blends healthcare and business courses in a creative, unique, and flexible fashion. In addition to the Butler Core Curriculum, students in the healthcare & business program take basic science courses, our “core” healthcare courses, several fundamental and advanced courses related to the business of healthcare. Students further individualize their curriculum by choosing from over 98 healthcare or business related electives that optimally prepare them for their chosen career path.
Students successfully completing this program will be able to:
- Demonstrate ethical, professional, collaborative, and culturally-sensitive behavior in business and healthcare settings.
- Integrate natural & social sciences and healthcare fundamentals with business principles to solve complex problems and optimize health outcomes.
- Locate, critically analyze, and apply data in a manner that supports evidence-based healthcare.
- Communicate effectively with laypersons, health professionals, and business leaders on health and business-related matters.