All applicants to the Master of Risk and Insurance program must possess a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution or the international equivalent prior to enrollment at the graduate level.
To apply, candidates should submit the following:
- Butler Application
- Personal Statement
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- Official Transcripts
- Current Résumé
- GMAT/GRE Scores (applicants may request a GMAT/GRE waiver)
2019–2020 Academic Year
- August 1, 2019: Application for 2020 cohort opens
- September 6, 2019: First application deadline
- November 1, 2019: Second application deadline
- December 1, 2019: Final application deadline
- January 2020: Prerequisite term start
- May 2020: Core program start; summer in-residence experience
Decisions will start being released two weeks after each application deadline.
GMAT/GRE Waiver Request Requirements
GMAT/GRE waivers are considered on a case-by-case basis and are not guaranteed. Applicants that wish to apply for a GMAT/GRE waiver must meet at least one of the waiver categories below. Applicants can request the waiver by completing the GMAT/GRE Waiver Request Form.
- Candidates with a conferred terminal degree (PhD, JD, MD, PharmD, etc.) are not required to take the GMAT, but must still complete the GMAT/GRE Waiver Request form.
- For all other applicants, you can submit a GMAT/GRE waiver if you meet the following criteria:
Graduate of Butler University’s Lacy School of Business with a 3.0 or higher GPA within the last five years.
Graduate of Butler University’s Actuarial Science Program with a 3.0 or higher GPA within the last five years.
Possess proof of insurance of financial services licensure that includes: Chartered Property and Casualty Underwriter (CPCU); Certified Insurance Counselors (CIC); Certified Financial Planner Certificate (CFP®); Fellow, Life Management Institute (FLMI); Chartered Life Underwriter (CLU); Chartered Financial Consultant (ChFC); Associate of the Society of Actuaries (ASA); Fellow of the Society of Actuaries (FSA); Associateship in the Casualty Actuarial Society (ACAS); Fellowship in the Casualty Actuarial Society (FCAS); Certified Employee Benefit Specialist (CEBS); Certified Employee Benefit Specialist Fellow (CEBS Fellow); Commercial Lines Coverage Specialist (CLCS); and Associate in Risk Management (ARM). Other certifications may qualify upon further review. Please contact the MSRI program office at MSRI@butler.edu for further information.
- Have all of the following:
- Cumulative GPA of 3.2 or higher
- Seven or more years of professional experience with increasing levels of responsibility
- Grade of "B-" or better in undergraduate or graduate level quantitative courses, which may include economics, accounting, finance, calculus, statistics, and/or physics.
Waiver decisions will be communicated to the applicant within 10–14 business days via email.