MFA Admission and How to Apply
The Application Process
You can complete Butler’s graduate application online for free.
To complete the application, you will need to submit:
- A writing sample in your intended genre (12 pages of poetry or 30 pages of prose).
- A statement of interest (1–2 pages).
- Two letters of recommendation.
- Transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended
International applicants must additionally submit the following:
- TOEFL scores or equivalent proof of English proficiency
- A clear copy of your passport
- Evidence of financial support
Note: GRE scores are NOT required.
Deadline for Spring 2020 is November 15, 2019: Only local applications accepted for mid-year start date.
Deadline for Fall 2020 HAS BEEN EXTENDED to April 30, 2020.
Please direct questions about application materials or the status of your application to the Office of Admission.
Every year, The Butler MFA in Creative Writing matriculates approximately 15 new students, divided roughly equally across our three core genres of fiction, creative nonfiction, and poetry.