Pharmacy Experiential Education
Pharmacy Practice Experiences are provided throughout the professional 4-year curriculum to enhance development of knowledge, skills, attitudes and values of our students, in tandem with didactic education. Students are placed in a variety of pharmacy experiences their first through third professional years and complete minimally 300 non-paid introductory rotation hours prior to advanced rotations. Students complete a minimum of 1600 advanced rotation hours during their 4th professional year.
Introductory Pharmacy Practice Experiences (IPPE)
- P1 Year—students experience 80 hours of community pharmacy service-learning experience during summer break after the P1 year.
- P2 Year—students experience 160 hours institutional practice experience during the summer after their second professional year.
Throughout the professional curriculum students have additional hours of Pharmacy Practice Experience course assignments and patient care simulation exercises.
Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experiences (APPE)
P4—students are scheduled May-April ten 4-week rotations. The 10 rotations consist of the following:
- 1 General Medicine
- 2 Acute Care In-patient (Hospital/Health-System)
- 1 Ambulatory Care
- 2 Community Practice
- 2 Patient Care Elective (in-patient or out-patient)
- 2 Electives (either patient care or non-patient care)
Students are able to preference, but not guaranteed, a wide range of elective rotation topics for their P4 elective rotations. A complete list of available APPE rotations is available at this link.