Art + Design
About the Art Program
Mission of the Art Program
The art program educates artists to acquire skills of the designer, and designers to attain the aesthetic eye of the artist, achieved through an innovative, hybrid curriculum that emphasizes sustainable, traditional and digital materials.
Principles of the Art Program
- Integration - Every course in the program integrates art and design, utilizing a hybrid approach that combines critical thinking with processes pertinent for both artists and designers, as well as methods of creation that are both traditional and digital.
- Creativity - Creativity is nurtured through emphasis in idea generation; with focus on responding to themes and processes rather than fulfilling assignments, students learn to trust their intuition and gain confidence as authors of their own work.
- Flexibility - The program is designed to be flexible in response to rapidly expanding career opportunities. Innovative coursework allows students to strategize with both traditional and nontraditional materials and customize projects to their specific interests
- Sustainability - The program promotes the ecological practice of reuse and repurposing of sustainable materials. Students are provided practical experiences and marketable skills to sustain a lifetime of creativity.
- Collaboration - Collaboration is a critical skill for future artists and designers. Collaborative environments prepare students to work professionally as part of a team; sharing, exchanging and accepting divergent viewpoints. Required internships with nonprofit and corporate organizations expand students' range of collaborative abilities and provide career-building opportunities.
- Leadership - The Art program offers the professional dexterity to promote leadership by setting high standards of achievement in initiative, innovation, and communication. Students are expected to develop, articulate, and realize a personal vision. In the classroom and beyond, students strive for excellence in artistic creation and professional practices.