Office of Sponsored Programs FAQ

the jordan hall tower above the trees

The Office of Sponsored Programs supports faculty research and scholarship, curricular and professional development, programmatic projects, and creative works through a combination of internal and external grants. This office also oversees the approval of all research and teaching protocols related to human subjects (IRB), biohazardous materials (IBC), and animal care (IACUC). 

Once you have identified a grant opportunity you would like to apply for, please contact the Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) as soon as possible at  The Director of OSP will help guide you through the application process, including filling out forms and advising on requirements for the grant.  You will also work with the Grants Financial Specialist in the Office of Budget and Grants to complete your budget, and ensure all proper rates will be used.  About 2 weeks before the deadline, we ask that you route the proposal for internal approval through  This webpage will automatically route your proposal to your Chair (if applicable), Dean, Director of Sponsored Programs, Grants Financial Specialist, the Provost, and the VP of Finance and Administration.  

First, if OSP and the Grants Financial Specialist were not copied on the announcement, please send to both as soon as the announcement is received.  In addition, if a signature is required for the award, OSP will work with the VP of Finance and Administration, as well as General Counsel, to make sure there are no negotiations that need to take place and to obtain signature.  OSP will also take note of any requirements that grant requires, such as compliance regulations.  The Grant Financial Specialist will set up the grant accounts and will share that information with you.  For all financial questions, please contact the Grant Financial Specialist, and for all other questions or requests that need completed, such as No Cost Extensions or scope changes, for the grant, please contact OSP. 

For human subjects studies, please email  For animal studies, please email  For studies involving biological materials such as recombinant or synthetic nucleic acid molecules or pathogenic microorganisms, please email  You can find all relevant forms here.  If you’re not sure whether or not your research requires any of these, please email to be connected with the Research Compliance Officer or relevant person for assistance. 

Please work with Lorraine Vavul, the Student Employment Coordinator in HR.  For students who will be paid for with grant funds, either internal or external, an additional form will need to be completed that includes signatures from the Office of Sponsored Programs and the Grants Financial Specialist.