Our Mission Statement
We prepare students to develop their individual voice and to integrate their comprehensive theatre training into purposeful lives. We value an inclusive and welcoming environment with a diverse range of artists, traditions, ideas, and audiences.
Our Core Values
- Professionalism: Collaborating with diligence, skill, integrity, and artistry.
- Inclusivity: Engaging diverse artists, students, audiences, and community partners in a meaningful exchange.
- Creativity: Exploring innovative and effective ways to present theatre.
Butler’s Department of Theatre is known nationally for launching artists who transform theatre and community.
Our Student Learning Objectives (SLOs)
- Demonstrate proficiency in theatre processes including play analysis, performance, technologies, design, and directing.
- Demonstrate the ability to apply theatre processes in production.
- Demonstrate an understanding of theatre in relationship to its historical and contemporary contexts, as well as its historical and contemporaneous relationship to other art forms.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the collaborative nature of theatre.
- Demonstrate ability to assess quality in works of theatre.