The CUE Team
Staff directly housed within the CUE is small in number, so every project we undertake has a host of devoted individuals and groups that lead to success. Our projects are led and supported by a suite of CUE staff, Butler students, faculty affiliates, and community partners. We consider each and every one of our collaborators a part of the CUE Team.
Butler students are the lifeblood of the CUE. Students are involved through both paid and for-credit internships as well as volunteer opportunities. Our current interns and volunteers are working on the farm, with Butler Sustainability, on research projects with faculty, and with community partners.
Current CUE Interns & Volunteers
Nick Bantz, Biology '20 – SAUSI Intern
Cindy Cifuentes, Biology '19 – Indy Wildlife Watch Intern
Haley Cowart, Environmental Studies '20 – CUE Farm Project Intern
Evynn Davis, Biology '19 – Indy Wildlife Watch Intern
Courtney Deeg, Environmental Studies '19 – Hoosier Riverwatch Intern
Sarah Diviney, Sociology & Criminology – Environmental Sociology Intern
Sarah Frischmeyer, Health Sciences '19 – CUE Farm Volunteer and Researcher
Jake Gerard, Biology '20 – Indy Wildlife Watch Intern
Lauren Goertzen, Biology '20 – Bird Window Strike Intern
Abby Hogan, Sociology & Criminology – Environmental Sociology Intern
Alex Holmes, Political Science & Environmental Studies '19 – Butler Sustainability Intern
Drew Jankowski, Organizational Communications and Leadership '19 – CUE Farm Marketing and Communications Intern
Caroline Klenck, Sociology & Criminology '19 – Environmental Sociology Intern
Becca Lewis, Biology & Chemistry '18 – SAUSI Intern
Spencer Lybrook, Biology '21 – SAUSI Intern
Morgan Mueller, Biology '20 – Bird Window Strike Intern
Clair O'Brien, Environmental Studies '21 – CUE Farm Project Intern
Elizabeth Streiff, Environmental Studies '20 – CUE Farm Project Intern
Kelsey Zitt, Biology '20 – Bird Window Strike Intern
Butler faculty who conduct urban ecology research connect with the CUE to leverage resources including student internships and volunteers, assistance with project coordination and executions, grant application support, and connections to community partners. CUE Faculty Affiliates come from many different disciplines and interests.
Our location within Indianapolis enables us to focus our efforts on the needs and challenges facing the city, while gaining fundamental knowledge that can be applied to cities worldwide. The CUE works with many community partners to offer projects on which the CUE is a collaborative partner, expand the impact of CUE-led projects, and provide Butler students with real-world experience.
The CUE Internal and External Advisory Committees play an integral role in guiding the brainstorming, planning, execution, and assessment of CUE strategic planning and activities. The diversity of disciplines and organizations represented are meant to stimulate innovation and collaboration among members.
Internal Advisory Committee
- Dr. Sean Berthrong, Assistant Professor, Department of Biology
- Dr. Elizabeth Davis, Instructor, Department of Chemistry
- Dr. Rebecca Dolan, Director, Friesner Herbarium
- Dr. Thomas Dolan, Professor, Department of Biology
- Dr. Travis Ryan, Professor and Chair, Department of Biology
- Dr. Carmen Salsbury, Professor, Department of Biology
- Dr. Andrew Stoehr, Assistant Professor, Department of Biology
External Advisory Committee
- Mr. Imhotep Adisa, Executive Director and Co-Founder, Kheprw Institute
- Ms. Linda Broadfoot, Director, Indy Parks
- Dr. Burnell “Burney” C. Fischer, Clinical Professor Emeritus, Public and Environmental Affairs & Senior Research Fellow, The Vincent and Elinor Ostrom Workshop in Political Theory and Policy Analysis, Indiana University
- Dr. Luke Gascho, Executive Director, Merry Lea Environmental Learning Center & Professor, Sustainability and Environmental Education, Goshen College
- Dr. Pierre-André Jacinthe, Director, Center for Earth and Environmental Sciences & Associate Professor, Earth Sciences, Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis
- Ms. Kelly Harris Brown, Metrics Manager and Collective Impact Coordinator, Reconnecting to Our Waterways & Founder and President, Current Consulting LLC
- Mr. Neil Myers, Principal, Williams Creek Consulting
- Dr. Alison O’Malley, Manager, Butler Business Consulting Group, Butler University
- Ms. Michele Schilten, Director of Education, Indianapolis Zoological Society, Inc.
- Dr. Brandon Sorge, Research and Evaluation Specialist, STEM Education Research Institute & Assistant Professor, Technology Leadership and Communication, Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis