Career and Professional Success
Statement about the fall semester in CaPS
The Career and Professional Success (CaPS) office is committed to the safety of students, faculty, staff, employers, and recruiters. As we all need to be diligent in fighting the COVID-19 virus, we are making the following changes for the fall 2020 semester:
Students and Graduates
- Appointments with students will continue to be virtual unless an arrangement can be made where the student and CaPS staff member can both be assured of protection in accordance with the Butler Health and Safety Plan. All of our services are available virtually.
- All fall career fairs, interview days, on-campus interviews, and workshops will be hosted virtually. Please check Handshake for upcoming events.
- We have suspended our fall Career Treks to employer locations. We may host virtual employer events. Look for possible Career Treks in Handshake.
- Students with questions or concerns about employment issues are encouraged to schedule an appointment with us on Handshake.
- For 24-hour help building your resume, cover letter, learning about interviewing, job searching, and other career topics, please download our free Guide to Professional Success (PDF).
Employers and Recruiters
- We look forward to continuing our work with you to help you connect to Butler talent. CaPS Employer Success staff are eager to have video or phone conversations about being active on campus.
- All fairs and on-campus interviews will be virtual for the fall semester. Please visit our online employment portal Handshake for career fair details.
Meet with CaPS
- Appointments: Virtual appointments for career help, general career exploration, and practice interviews are available via Handshake. Sign up as usual (if that link doesn’t take you directly to the webpage with the big, blue “Schedule a New Appointment” button, please log in, click ‘Career Center,’ then ‘Appointments’). Schedule a time with one of our career advisors.
- Peer Career Advisors: Our staff of Peer Career Advisors is here to help you with your career needs whether it be resume writing, cover letter review, a quick career question, or preparation for an event. Starting the first week of fall 2020 classes, Peer Career Advisors will be offering virtual drop-in hours, as well as support via texting, every Monday–Thursday from 4:00–6:00 PM. Please visit our Career Studio page for more info.
- Workshops: CaPS will continue offering virtual workshops and events. Please watch the Handshake Events page, our Instagram page, Wisr–Bulldogs Connect, and your email for topics, dates, and times.
Connect with Employers and Butler Graduates
- Fall Virtual Career Fairs: To protect students and recruiters, our fall events will be held on Handshake’s new career fair platform. Please watch for information both on Handshake and in your Butler email.
- Get Hired! Fair: On- and off-campus opportunities for all students, from all majors and years. Friday, August 28 from 2:00–4:00 PM.
- Big Dawg Fair: Large career fair for all students and graduates, from all majors and years. Wednesday, September 16 from 5:30–7:30 PM.
- Wisr – Bulldogs Connect: Over 800 graduates from across the United States have volunteered to help you in your career exploration, networking, and job and internship search. Reach out to Butler grads now on Wisr – Bulldogs Connect.
- NEW – Micro-internships: Earn money, gain valuable experience, and build your portfolio. Sign up for a free account on Parker Dewey and start applying for projects.
- Job and Internships: Continue your search by using Handshake and Indiana INTERNnet.
- Additional Support from our Career Development Partners: Connect directly with 350+ employers throughout the state by submitting your resume to Ascend Indiana. Explore opportunities for all majors in the tech industry through TechPoint.
- LinkedIn: Feel free to also reach out to Butler graduates and employers on LinkedIn. Unsure of what to say? Schedule an advising appointment with a CaPS career advisor.
- Job/Internship Applications: Don’t stop applying! We’re gathering information from employers as things evolve and will issue more guidance via Handshake and email.
- Interviews: All on-campus interviews will be online only. Students who have an interview with an employer off-campus should reach out directly to the employer to ask about any changes to their process.