- First Year Seminar
- Global & Historical Studies
- Analytic Reasoning
- The Natural World
- Perspectives in the Creative Arts
- Physical Well Being
- The Social World
- Texts & Ideas
- Speaking Across the Curriculum
- Writing Across the Curriculum
- Social Justice and Diversity
- Butler Cultural Requirement
- Indianapolis Community Requirement
- CORE Faculty FAQ
Butler Cultural Requirement
“Eight Before You Graduate”
Butler University has a rich set of cultural activities in the form of artistic performances, seminars and public lectures that collectively comprise one of our most remarkable educational resources. The aim of the Butler Cultural Requirement is to engage students in these most valuable and exciting learning opportunities, and to encourage students to develop habits of participation in artistic and cultural events that will lead to lifelong engagement with the creative arts and public intellectual life.
For a list of approved events, please check the BCR calendar. The BCR calendar is updated throughout the semester. Please check back regularly for new events.
All Butler students must attend eight or more BCR events as part of their graduation requirements. Transfer students must complete at least one BCR credit for each semester enrolled at Butler University.
Receiving BCR Credit
Butler University piloted a new system for collecting BCR event attendance information during the Fall 2020 semester. Designed to improve the student experience, the new process provides students with real-time attendance confirmations managed, in part, by Engage, already in use by many student organizations on campus.
When attending a BCR event, students must either scan a QR code or retrieve a tinyURL which automatically captures their attendance. QR codes/URLs are unique, event-specific and timed. Only students attending a specific event may claim credit, and students must attend the entire event to receive credit.
In past semesters, students would “scan in” and also “scan out” to receive BCR credit. Now, the QR code or tinyURL will be made available during the event by the event host – at the beginning, middle or end.
Note: There are no alternative make-up options for those missing BCRs preventing graduation.
NOTE: If you mark yourself as attended outside of a BCR event timeline, your attendance credit will not register in your my.butler.edu student record. Additionally, if claiming BCR credit for 2 concurrent events, both credits will be marked invalid.
Disability-Related Accommodations for Events
For accessibility information or to request disability-related accommodations, please visit www.butler.edu/event-accommodations.
Event coordinators need to contact Student Disability Services at 317-940-9308 or in Jordan Hall 136 to discuss all accommodation requests and accessibility questions in order to help ensure they are properly addressed.
For more information, see BCR FAQs.
- For in-person events, you need a personal smart device to register attendance. Look for a posted QR code. Scan the QR code, sign-in using your Butler Credentials, and your attendance is automatically captured.
- For livestreamed events, watch for a posted TinyURL on a slide or in a chat. This may appear either at the beginning, middle or end of the event. Go to the link, sign-in using your Butler Credentials, and your attendance is automatically captured. In some instances, students may already be signed into the system and their attendance is automatically captured. Look for a small blue confirmation bar at the bottom of the screen. Questions: Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, see BCR FAQs.