The Natural World
A menu of five-hour lecture/lab courses to be taken from the first year onward. Courses not required of science majors.
- To gain awareness of some significant scientific theories and achievements, and to recognize how they are related both to other areas of science and to our understanding of broader societal issues.
- To develop an understanding of the methods of natural science and a capacity to reason scientifically.
- To experience first-hand the scientific process through discovery-based learning.
Learning Outcomes used for Assessment
- Students will demonstrate content knowledge.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to explain how knowledge of scientific theories guide society’s understanding of broader societal issues.
- Students will experience the methods of science including implementation of the scientific method, data collection, data analysis, and the interpretation of data.
Exemption after successful completion of at least 8 hours of laboratory science.