At a Glance
Butler University is a private, nationally recognized comprehensive university encompassing six colleges: Arts, Business, Communication, Education, Liberal Arts & Sciences, and Pharmacy & Health Sciences. Approximately 4,500 undergraduate and 1,000 graduate and doctoral students are enrolled at Butler, representing 46 states and 24 countries.
School Type: Private, Coed
Year Founded: 1855
Religious Affiliation: None
Butler University, founded on ideals of equity and academic excellence, creates and fosters a collaborative, stimulating intellectual learning environment. We are inspired to boldly innovate and broadly educate, enriching communities and preparing all learners to lead meaningful lives.
Butler is located in Indianapolis, Indiana.
When students come to Butler, they’re getting more than just a world-class education. They’re joining the bustling community of Indianapolis, nicknamed the Crossroads of America and home to five professional sports teams, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, a vibrant arts and culture scene, a nationally recognized international airport, and many major businesses and corporations.
- 1850—The charter of North Western Christian University proposed by abolitionist Ovid Butler was approved by the Indiana General Assembly.
- 1855—Classes began at North Western Christian University in the area of today’s 13th Street and College Avenue.
- 1877—The school moved to Irvington and was renamed Butler University.
- 1928—Butler University relocated to its current location at 4600 Sunset Avenue.
2023 U.S. News and World Report Best Colleges Rankings
- No. 1 Regional University–Midwest
- No. 1 Most Innovative School–Midwest
- No. 1 Best Undergraduate Teaching–Midwest
- No. 1 Best College for Veterans–Midwest
- No. 35 Best Value–Midwest
- No. 15 (tie) First-Year Experiences–National
- No. 37 (tie) Study Abroad –National
- No. 53 (tie) Undergraduate Research/Creative Projects–National
|Students Receiving Gift Aid (2021–2022)||96%|
|Average Class Size||22|
|Undergraduates engaged in student-led campus activities||88%|
|Students who study abroad while at Butler||40%|
|Students who complete at least one internship while at Butler||75%|
|First-Year to Second-Year Student Retention||89%|
|Career or Graduate School Placement Within Six Months of Graduation||99%|
|Median Starting Salary||$52,000|