Pre-Law Resource List
Legal Career Resources at the Center for High Achievement and
Scholarly Engagement, Butler University
The Center for High Achievement an Scholarly Engagement
(CHASE) has a library of resources with a wealth of
information about law, law schools, the Law School Admission Test
(LSAT) and more. All materials can be borrowed for a week and must
be checked out in the blue folder in the CHASE
office (Jordan Hall, Room 153).
In addition to the resources listed below, the Office of
Post-Graduate Studies has brochures for a large number of law
Careers In Law
- Bramble Bush - On Our Law and its Study. K. N.
Llewllyn. Oceana Publications, Inc, 1991.
- Careers in International Affairs. Georgetown
University Press, Sixth Edition, 1997.
- Careers in International Law. Janis and Swartz.
International Law and Practice American Bar Association, 2001.
- Introduction to the Study and Practice of Law. Kenney
Hegland. Thomson West, 2003.
- Lawyers in Transition -Planning a Life in the Law.
Byers, Samuelson and Williamson. The Barkley Company 1988.
- Paralegal Careers. Angela Schneeman. West Legal
- Should You Really Be a Lawyer - The Guide to Smart Career
Choices Before, During and After Law School. Schnieder, JD and
Belsky. Decision Books, 2005.
- So You Want to Be a Lawyer - A Practical Guide to Law as a
Career. Law School Admission Council, 2003.
- Thinking About Law School: A Minority Guide. Law
School Admission Council, 1996.
- What Can You Do With A Law Degree? Deborah Arron.
Niche Press, 1994.
- Becoming a Lawyer: a Video Collection. Law School
Admission Council, 2003. (video)
- So You Want to Go to Law School. 1996. (video)
Applying To Law School
- Best Answers to the 201 Most Frequently Asked Interview
Questions. Mathew DeLuca. McGraw Hill, 1997.
- Get Into Law School - A Strategic Approach. Ruth
Lammer-Reeves. KAPLAN, 2004.
- How to Get into the Top Law Schools. Richard Montauk.
Prenctice Hall Press, 2001.
- How to Write a Winning Personal Statement for Graduate and
Professional School. Richard Stelzer, Thomson, 1997.
- Law School Essays That Made a Difference. Eric Owens.
The Princeton Review, 2003.
- Out and In - Information for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and
Transgendered Law School Applicants. Law School Admission
- Perfect Personal Statements. Mark Alan Stewart.
Thomson Peterson's, 2002.
- St. Cloud State University, Pre Law Advisor. 2003.
- The 10 Questions for Minority Law Schools Applicants.
Law School Admission Council.
- The Ultimate Guide to Law School Admission. Carol
Wright, J.D. Marriwell Publishing, 2003.
- Writing the Perfect Resume - Learn The Techniques That Get
You Hired. Weber and Kaplan. Thomson Peterson's, 2001.
- Pass Key to the LSAT - Intensive Preparation for the Law
School Admission Test. Barrons Educational Series, 2002.
- How to Prepare for the LSAT Law School Admissions
Test. Barron's 2002. (With a CD-Rom)
- LSAT Strategy Sample Booklet. The Princeton Review,
- LSAT and LSDAS Information Book. 2006-2007.
- LSAT Home Study Book. KAPLAN Test Prep and Admissions,
- LSAT Lesson Book. KAPLAN, 2003.
- LSAT 2006 Edition Premier Program. Kaplan
- LSAT 2006 Edition Comprehensive Program. Kaplan.
- LSAT 180 Advanced Prep for Advanced Students.
- LSAT Victory Using the Cambridge Six-Step Approach.
Cambridge Educational Services
- Official LSAT Prep Tests. Law School Admissions
Council. (Numerous PrepTests accompanied by an explanation
- The Cambridge Six-Step Approach to Score Improvements.
(Computer adaptive test preparation for the LSAT.) (CD-Rom)
- The Official LSAT Super Prep. Law School Admissions
- The Big Orange Book of Real LSATs - 800 questions and over
4,000 explanations. KAPLAN Test Prep and Admissions,
Law School Information
- First Year Law Study- A Survival Manual. Richard
- How to Succeed in Law School. Gary Munneke, J.D.
- How to Succeed in Law School. 1996. (video)
- Inside the Law Schools - A Guide by Students for
Students. Seventh Edition, 1998.
- Judging the Law Schools. Brennan and LeDuc, 2001, 3rd
- Law School Admissions Profiles. MAPLA Midwest
Association of Pre-Law Advisors.
- Law School Confidential - A Complete Guide to the Law
School Experience: By Students, for Students. Robert Miller.
Thomas Dunne Books, 2004.
- The Law School Buzz Book. Vault, 2006.
- Law School Lists. Kaplan, 2006-2007 Edition.
- Law School Without Fear - Strategies for Success.
Shapo and Shapo. Foundation Press, 2002.
- National Association of Law Placement (NALP) Directory of
Law Schools, 2006-2007.
- Official Guide to ABA-Approved Law Schools. Law School
Admissions Council, 2007.
- The Indiana CLEO Program booklet.
- Financing a Legal Education: Investing in Your Future.
Law School Admission Council, 2004. (video)
- Financial Aids for Higher Education. Keesler
Santamaria. Brown and Benchmark, 1997.
- A Civil Action. Jonathan Harr. First Vintage Books
- A History of the World's Great Trials. Aymar and
Sagarin. New York Publishing, 1967.
- Asking the Right Questions - A Guide to Critical Thinking.
Browne and Keeley. Pearson, Eight Edition, 2007.
- Civil Litigation. Kerly, Hames and Sukys. West Legal
Studies, Third Edition 2001.
- Essentials of Alternative Dispute Resolution.
Patterson and Seabolt. Pearson publications company, 1997.
- Federal Rules of Evidence with Objections. Anthony
Bocchino, David Sonenshein. National Institute for Trial Advocacy.
Sixth Edition 2005.
- Foundations of Business Organizations for Paralegals.
Margaret Bartschi. West Legal Studies, 2000.
- Heirs of General Practice. John McPhee. The Noonday
- Introduction to the American Legal System. Enika
Shulz. Pearson Publications, 1996.
- International Business Law and its Environment.
Schaffer, Earle and Agusti. West Educational Publishing, Fifth ed
- Learning Legal Reasoning - Briefing, Analysis and
Theory. Professor John Delaney. John Delaney Publications,
- Life's Dominion - An Argument about Abortion, Euthanasia,
and Individual Freedom. Ronald Dworkin. New York, 1993.
- Money and Justice - Who Owns the Courts? Lois Forer.
Norton Company 1984.
- Ould Fields, New Corne - The Personal Memoirs of a
Twentieth Century Lawyer. Erwin Griswold. West Publishing,
- ONE L - The Turbulent True Story of a First Year at Harvard
Law School. Scott Turow. Warner Books, 1988.
- Order and Law - Arguing the Reagon Revolution. Charles
Fried. Simon and Schuster, 1991.
- Paralegal Ethics. Angela Schneeman. West Legal
- Personal Injury Litigation. William Statsky. West
Legal Studies, Fourth Edition, 2001.
- Problem Solving and Comprehension. Whimbey and
Lochhead. Lawrence Erlbaum Inc, Sixth Edition, 1999.
- STAND! Contending Ideas and Opinions. Thomas Hickey.
Coursewise publishing, 1999.
- Stories of Scottsboro. James Goodman, 1994.
- The American Bar Association Family Legal Guide. Times
- The Constitution and What it Means Today. Harold Chase
and Craig Ducat. Princeton University Press, 1973.
- The Betrayed Profession - Lawyering at the End of the
Twentieth Century. Linowitz and Mayer. McMillan Publishing,
- The Craft of Legal Reasoning. Brian Porto. Harcourt
Brace College Publishers, 1998
- The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down. Anne
Fadiman. The Noonday Press, 1997.