Skip to main content

Error message

Notice: Undefined index: bundle in fieldable_panels_panes_load_from_subtype() (line 995 of /var/www/html/sites/all/modules/contrib/fieldable_panels_panes/fieldable_panels_panes.module).
Registration and Records
Butler University Bulletin

Other Admission Options

Renewed Enrollment

Former Butler students in good standing who wish to return to the same program they were in before do not have to apply for admission again. These students must file an application for renewed enrollment with the Office of Registration and Records. The application can be found at Due to the sequential and cumulative nature of health science curricula, students seeking renewed enrollment in the College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences after an absence from the College of two semesters or more must seek approval for renewed enrollment from the Dean. Remedial course work and/or assessment of current knowledge and skills may be required as a condition for enrollment. An official transcript of any course work taken since last attending Butler must be sent directly to the Office of Registration and Records from the college(s) attended.

Students seeking to renew enrollment into a program different from their previous degree, or at a new degree level, must submit the appropriate application to the Office of Admission. Students who have been dismissed for academic or disciplinary reasons during their previous enrollment at Butler also must be approved for readmission by the appropriate college dean.


Applicants who wish to take courses for credit while not pursuing a degree may apply for non-degree status. The non-degree application may be obtained from the Office of Admission or found on its website and must be completed one week prior to the first day of the term.

Non-degree applicants who have completed high school but who have not attended a college or university must have an official high school transcript (or a copy of their satisfactory GED results) sent to the Office of Admission to complete the application. Students who have attended a college or university must submit an official transcript from the last school attended indicating a C (2.0/4.0) or higher cumulative GPA and eligibility to return.

A non-degree student may apply only 18 hours of credit earned as a non-degree student toward a degree program. A degree-seeking student at Butler may not be reclassified as non-degree. The following are all non-degree options:

Audit for Enrichment

The Audit for Enrichment (AFE) program is designed for adults who have achieved at least a high school education who are interested in not-for-credit learning experiences for personal or professional enrichment. This program is available during the fall, spring, and summer terms. Individuals must submit an application to this program no later than two (2) weeks before the start of the term. First-time applicants will be asked to provide proof of the highest educational degree received (i.e., transcript or diploma). The college and/or departments of instruction will review the application and you will be notified of your acceptance into the program by the Office of Registration and Records. Once you have been approved for AFE registrations, you do not need to submit the education documents again but must continue to request course work at least two (2) weeks in advance of the term for review and specific course approval.

After your application has been approved, Registration and Records will register you on the first day of the term if there is still a seat available in the class. The AFE fee ($125 per credit hour) together with all additional course-related fees are payable at the time of registration and are not refundable. For an application, visit the Registrar’s office in Jordan Hall, Room 180, or find it at

Courses taken in this program will be designated as an “audit” on an official transcript and may not be changed to “credit” enrollment later in the semester.

Individual High School Student Enrollment Policy

Summary of Program

This program is designed for students to enroll in courses otherwise not available in their high school curricular offerings. Admitted high school students may enroll as non-degree students to take courses for college credit at Butler University while still attending high school. Enrollment in a course is based upon placement exam results, consultation with the academic department(s) and/or the Learning Resource Center, and availability and capacity within the department or program. Credits earned may be applied toward a degree at Butler.

Application Information

Student applicants must submit the following items:

  • Student applicants must submit the following items:
    • Individual High School Student Enrollment Application
    • Official high school transcript
    • Letter of recommendation from a high school counselor or teacher

Additional Eligibility Criteria

  • Students must have successfully completed four semesters of high school course work, preferably at the college preparatory, honors, or advanced level.*
  • Students interested in taking courses with programs from the Jordan College of the Arts must also complete an audition. The audition process will be coordinated after the review of the admission application.
  • Students interested in taking courses in math and foreign language subjects will be required to prove proficiency in those areas, in addition to completing a placement exam.
  • Registration in specific courses is subject to availability, and the Butler University department or instructor may require additional information for enrollment.
  • Enrollment in an online course requires the specific approval of the dean of the college offering the course.
  • Students are limited to six hours of credit each semester.

* Dual credit courses taught by Butler qualified faculty and mentored teachers in certain high schools may have different requirements for admission to the course. 

Application Deadlines 

  • Fall Semester: August 21
  • Spring Semester: January 6
  • Summer Session: May 4

Summer Guest Registration

Butler has a simplified process for students at other institutions who want to take undergraduate classes during the summer but do not want to be admitted to a degree program. There is no fee to apply, and no transcripts from your home school are required. Undergraduates can find the steps to enroll, as well as the Summer Guest Student Registration Form at

Non-Degree to Degree-Seeking Status

Students who have been attending Butler University in a non-degree capacity may apply for degree-seeking status by submitting an application for admission and following the guidelines listed in this Bulletin. Check with the Office of Admission or the Office of Registration and Records for the appropriate application dates.