Although we all want to volunteer for altruistic reasons, it is human nature that we also need to "get something back" from a service experience. Service can be viewed as an exchange. As we give of our time and talents, we receive personal benefits as well.
Benefits of Serving
- Practice self discovery.
- Explore your values and place in the world.
- Expand your education by making connections between your classes and the "real world."
- Challenge yourself.
- Feel needed, connected and contributing.
- Share your knowledge and expertise with others while learning from them.
- Meet and make new friends.
- Foster deeper bonds with team members and friends.
- Lend a hand to those in need.
- Take and active part in your community.
- Make an impact on other's lives as well as your own.
- Help to combat social injustice.
- Build your resume with experiences that employers covet.
- Learn and develop job and interpersonal skills.
- Make career contacts and network.
- Explore new fields and interests with freedom.
- Gain future job experience.