Setting up a Service Project
If you and your student group are looking to set up a service project, here are some helpful tips to get you started.
- Consider what issue you want to with for and how many people you have in mind for the project. Depending on the size of the group some agencies may not be able to accommodate you.
- Utilize our categorical listing--you can find a starting point for agencies in your desired area.
- Find out who the volunteer coordinator is, either through the agency's website or by calling.
- Tell the volunteer coordinator the size of your group and that you're interested in setting up a project with them. Make sure to ask them what, if anything, they need done. It is important to not tell them what YOU want to do because this may not be the agency's greatest need. It is very important to respect community voice from the critical elements of service (please read up on these to make your project a success!).
- Make sure you confirm the location, time and date.
- Ask if you need to bring any tools with you or wear certain clothes (i.e. close-toed shoes or long pants, clothes that can get dirty, etc).
- Make contact with the coordinator a few days prior to the set date to make sure everything is a go.
- DO YOUR PROJECT!
- Complete a reflection upon your return.
- Confirm your volunteers a few days ahead so you are aware of cancellations.
- Have the group meet a little early if you need to take attendance.
- While at the site, ask questions of the staff about their experiences to learn more.
- Ask for a tour if you think it's appropriate.
- If you're going to take pictures on-site make sure to ask first.