Butler Theatre Professional Connections
Butler Theatre Connects students with professional, equity theatres
The Indiana Repertory Theatre (IRT) and the Phoenix Theatre
Butler Theatre students connect regularly throughout the year with Indianapolis’s professional, Equity theatre companies: the Indiana Repertory Theatre (IRT), Indiana's largest, fully professional regional theatre, and the Phoenix Theatre, a smaller professional theatre that focuses on issue-oriented contemporary work. Both theatres are located in downtown Indianapolis, and Butler Theatre students, faculty and staff attend performances at both theatres each semester. These visits are tied to our classes: we discuss and write about the professional productions we see in our acting, directing, voice, movement, design, and theory courses.
As an added bonus, students often witness the design, directing, or acting work of Butler Theatre faculty who work regularly at these theatres.
Additional benefits of Butler Theatre’s connections to the IRT & Phoenix theatres:
- Our Idea of Theatre class in which first-semester theatre majors get to know the artistic, administrative, and technical staffs of the IRT and Phoenix
- Opportunities to intern in a wide variety of areas at both theatres including dramaturgy, stage management, design, marketing, company management, and more
- Opportunities to perform: many theatre majors have made their professional debuts at the IRT and the Phoenix over the years
- A stage management course, taught every other year by IRT's senior stage manager
- Viewing professional theatre: All theatre majors are required to attend performances at the IRT and the Phoenix on a regular basis throughout each academic year
An Exclusive Partnership: Indianapolis Shakespeare Company
Butler Theatre has an exclusive partnership with the Indianapolis Shakespeare Company. Our Chair, Diane Timmerman, is Producing Artistic Director for the Indianapolis Shakespeare Company whose flagship production is free outdoor Shakespeare in downtown Indianapolis' White River State Park. Butler Theatre majors undertake internships in a wide variety of areas from arts administration to stage management to costumes, sound, lights, and more. Butler Theatre Majors value the opportunity to work with some of the finest professionals in the business as they all work together to provide Indianapolis with Indy Shakes' high-quality, free Shakespeare productions which have become a much-loved tradition in our community.