Campus Life Policies
- Alcohol Policy for Students
- Animal Abuse
- Campus Demonstrations and Free Speech
- Clery Act
- Drug-free Schools and Community Act Compliance
- Grievance Procedure
- Hazing and Pre-initiation Activities
- Health Insurance Requirement
- Housing Policies and Procedures
- Health Officer
- Missing Student Protocol
- Performance, Presentation, and Speaker Events Policy
- Regulation on Use of Sound Amplification Devices
- Sex Crimes Prevention Act
- Smoking Policy
- Student Organization Policies, Guidelines & Procedures
Butler University is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for all members of the community. It is the policy of Butler University to allow smoking exclusively in a small number of designated outdoor smoking areas. The designated smoking areas are not near entrances to buildings or frequently traveled pathways. Signage identifies designated areas and smoking receptacles are available at these locations. Smoking is prohibited while walking on campus property or while driving or riding in a vehicle owned or leased by the University.
- For purposes of this policy, smoking is defined as the act of lighting, smoking or carrying a lighted or smoldering cigar, cigarette or pipe of any kind.
- Smoking is not allowed in or around buildings occupied by University faculty, staff and students including classrooms, laboratories, private offices, residence halls, University apartments and common areas except in those locations designated as smoking areas. Designated smoking areas can be located here.
- It is expected that individuals who smoke will show concern for the neatness of the area and put smoking-related waste in proper receptacles provided for that purpose. Smoking should be in well-lighted designated smoking areas in the evening for purposes of personal safety.
Resolving complaints about smoking.
The success of this policy depends upon the thoughtfulness, consideration, goodwill and cooperation of both smokers and non-smokers. All members of the Butler University community share in the responsibility of adhering to and enforcing this policy. Complaints about violations of this policy should be brought initially to the attention of the individual who is violating the policy. Every attempt should be made to resolve this issue at this level. If the complaint is not resolved, the violation should be brought to the attention to that person’s supervisor.
(The Smoking Policy is reviewed annually by the Vice President of Human Resources, Diversity and Wellness.)