Skip to main content
Student Handbook
Butler Student Handbook

Alcohol Policy for Students

The primary concern of Butler University in all cases, including those incidents of intoxication and/or alcohol poisoning, is the health and safety of the individuals involved. Students who actively seek medical attention on the behalf of another due to a concern for that person’s intoxicated state and well-being will generally not be charged with a violation of University policy.

Use of Alcoholic Beverages

All Butler students are responsible for complying with state and local laws. Attention is called to the Indiana

alcoholic beverages law (Indiana Code 7.1-5 found here:

The following are violations of University policy:

(a)   No person under 21 years of age may consume or be in possession of alcoholic beverages.

(b)  Persons 21 or over may not make alcoholic beverages available to minors nor may they provide a venue for minors to consume.

(c)  It is unacceptable to misrepresent one’s age for the purpose of procuring alcoholic beverages.

(d) Residence hall and University apartment students 21 years of age and their guests 21 years of age or older may possess and consume alcoholic beverages on an individual basis in the privacy of their own rooms, with their room doors closed. Individuals younger than 21 years of age may not be in the presence of alcohol within the residence halls/apartments.

Alcohol on University Property and at University-sponsored Events

  1. Alcoholic beverages are prohibited on campus or on the sidewalks adjacent to campus property, except as noted in (d) above or with the expressed approval of the department head responsible for the administration of a designated facility/area. Student organizations wishing to sponsor an event on campus with alcohol must receive authorization from the Vice President for Student Affairs.
  2. No University funds or monies from student organization accounts may be used to purchase alcoholic beverages without the authorization of the Vice President for Student Affairs.
  3. Student organizations may provide alcoholic beverages at University-sponsored events on and off campus according to the social event procedures
  4. University-recognized Greek chapters may provide alcoholic beverages at events on their premises according to the Greek alcohol and social event procedures.

 (The Student Alcohol Policy is reviewed annually by the Vice President for Student Affairs.)