Skip to main content
Student Handbook
Butler Student Handbook

Grievances/Formal Complaint Procedure

The University recognizes that situations may arise in which a student believes they have been treated unjustly. All members of the University community should attempt to resolve grievances as soon as possible as, typically, the opportunity to gather information is greatest at the earliest point in time. Students may choose to consult with the Dean of Students to determine how best to address their concern. In general, addressing a grievance should start at the lowest possible level:

  • Students concerned about an academic/faculty issue may discuss the concerns directly with the instructor, the department chair, or the dean of their college.

  • Students concerned about a matter not related to academics should address them with the director or dean responsible for the area of concern.

  • If these steps do not achieve a resolution, the student may contact the Provost or Vice President for Student Affairs for assistance. Please refer to specific sections of the student handbook for more information on grievances involving student conduct, academic integrity, sexual misconduct, harassment and discrimination.


Formal Complaint Procedure
Formal Complaint Form

This form is to be used to submit a formal complaint regarding an issue in which a student has not been able to satisfactorily find resolution. Completed forms will be routed to the Office of the Dean of Students for investigation and response. For assistance with completing this form contact the Dean of Students at (317) 940-9470.