What Does it Mean to be on Conduct Probation?
Conduct probation is a period of observation and review during which a student or a student organization must demonstrate a willingness and ability to comply with all University regulations. The probation period might be set for a semester, an academic year, or even through a student's graduation.
For individual students, conduct probation is different and separate from academic probation, which occurs when students fail to meet the minimum cumulative GPA requirement of 2.0. Conduct probation is noted in a student's conduct record, but not on the student's academic transcript.
Sometimes stipulations are attached to conduct probation. Once the stipulations are met and/or the period of observation is over, the student or student organization returns to good standing. Some of the stipulations for individual students placed on conduct probation include:
- Prohibited from participation in Greek recruitment.
- Involvement in key campus leadership positions is restricted.
- Housing options and participation in the room selection lottery is restricted.
- A prohibition from entering residence halls, campus apartments, and other University facilities.
- Membership in student organizations and participation in University-sponsored activities may be withheld. This could include participation in study abroad programs.
- A psychological or drug/alcohol assessment by a certified professional could be required. Students are held to any recommendations that result from the assessment.
Stipulations for student organizations vary based on the nature of the incident(s) and might include:
- A required educational program or activity for all members that addresses the concern/negative behaviors.
- Loss of privileges like the ability to host or participate in a campus event or activity.
- A request for making amends, paying restitution or issuing a formal apology.
- A prohibition on new membership recruitment activities.
Further behavioral incidents may result in extending the terms of conduct probation, a return to conduct probation, and/or the student may be suspended from the University for a designated period of time. Student organizations risk losing their official University recognition for a period of time or permanently.