There are two types of refunds.
1. Refund of tuition charge.
When students withdraw at certain points during the semester, he/she receives a credit of the tuition cost for the courses dropped. If the student withdraws from the university, a refund of tuition may be applied to the student account. Students who pay tuition via the monthly payment plan and who withdraw before the account is paid in full are NOT relieved from payment of the amount due and will be credited according to the refund schedule.
For information regarding the Institutional Tuition Refund Schedule(s) for summer courses, please contact the Office of Student Accounts directly at email@example.com or (317) 940-9353.
Please review the Fall 2020 Institutional Tuition Refund Schedule
Notwithstanding the provisions of the University's refund policies, if any disciplinary action results in the suspension or expulsion of a student from Butler University, housing or any activity, the University may refuse to refund, in whole or in part, the student's tuition, fees or room and board charges. Residence Life handles any credits of room and board charges when withdrawal occurs during the semester. Students should direct any question regarding a room and/or board refund to Residence Life.
2. Refund request for credit balance(s) on account.
The Office of Student Accounts processes refund checks by request (in most instances) for students with credit balances on their student account. To request a refund check, complete the Student Account Refund Request.
Summer 2020 - the last day to request a refund for the summer term is August 11, 2020.
Fall 2020 - Refund requests can be submitted beginning August 12, 2020.
Note: Refund checks are issued after the last withdrawal date for a 100% tuition refund as indicated on the Fall & Spring Institutional Refund Schedules:
- Summer 2020 Institutional Refund Schedule - contact firstname.lastname@example.org or (317) 940-9353
- Fall 2020 Institutional Tuition Refund Schedule
- Refund checks are mailed. Please make sure your personal information (including your HOME & LOCAL address) is correct in your my.butler.edu account. Please check the steps to view or edit your information. Do you need to verify your local address?
- The account must be cleared to refund and a credit balance must be on the account at the time of review.
- Two checks are permitted per term. Some exceptions apply (e.g. federal Title IV funds).
- Tuition is set regardless of the method of instruction, and will not be refunded in the event that instruction occurs remotely for any part of the academic year.