There are two types of refunds.
1. Refund of tuition charge.
When students withdraw at certain points during the semester, he/she receives a credit of the tuition cost for the courses dropped. If the student withdraws from the university, a refund of tuition may be applied to the student account. See the Fall 2018 Institutional Tuition Refund Schedule and the Spring 2019 Institutional Tuition Refund Schedule. Students who pay tuition via the monthly payment plan and who withdraw before the account is paid in full are NOT relieved from payment of the amount due and will be credited according to the refund schedule.
For information regarding the Institutional Tuition Refund Schedule(s) for summer courses, please contact the Office of Student Accounts directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or (317) 940-9353.
Notwithstanding the provisions of the University's refund policies, if any disciplinary action results in the suspension or expulsion of a student from Butler University, housing or any activity, the University may refuse to refund, in whole or in part, the student's tuition, fees or room and board charges. Residence Life handles any credits of room and board charges when withdrawal occurs during the semester. Students should direct any question regarding a room and/or board refund to Residence Life.
2. Refund request for credit balance(s) on account.
The Office of Student Accounts processes refund checks by request (in most instances) for students with credit balances on their student account. To request a refund check, complete the Student Account Refund Request Form (PDF). Refund checks are issued after the last withdrawal date for a 100% tuition refund as indicated on the Fall & Spring Institutional Refund Schedules:
- Fall 2018 Institutional Refund Schedule
- Spring 2019 Institutional Refund Schedule
- Summer 2019 Institutional Refund Schedule - contact email@example.com or (317) 940-9353
Are you anticipating a refund check for SUMMER 2019? Click HERE for details.
STUDENTS: Please note:
- It's important to make sure your personal information (including your HOME & LOCAL address) is correct in your my.butler.edu account. Please check the steps to view or edit your information. Do you need to verify your local address?
- Refunds are typically processed weekly while classes are in session. To receive a refund on Fridays (unless noted otherwise), a completed Refund Request form must be received by the Office of Student Accounts the Tuesday prior. The account must be cleared to refund and a credit balance must be on the account at the time of review.
- Submit completed Refund Request forms to the Office of Student Accounts, Jordan Hall, Room 102, 4600 Sunset Ave., Indianapolis, IN 46208 OR scan and e-mail the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org OR fax to (317) 940-3282.
- Two checks are permitted per term. Some exceptions apply (e.g. federal Title IV funds).
- Refund checks are NOT processed when classes are not in session.